No announcement yet.

Planning Ahead - Look okay to you?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBee, I wonder if you'd consider re-using some of the beds within the season? What I usually do is keep my leeks in deep pots until the early potatoes are out, and then use that space for the leeks. After the second earlies are out, I use the space for peas (started in modules so they're ready to climb). As courgettes are planted out quite late in the season, I use the squash bed for a quick crop of salad beforehand. Once the onions are out, things like beetroot and spinach get sown in their place.

It does make things a bit more confusing for planning crop rotation, but on the plus side means you get a lot more within the season.

Comment

Does it allow for all the crops you want? Seems very low on legumes (I grow loads but you may not like them) and I agree the beds are very long. Mine are a max of 10' x 4' which can still be long enough to nip round but again not everybody will have this issue.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I tend to grow Cobra french beans at home in the backyard, as they do well in the sheltered sun trap there. I'm not a huge legume fan, but I do the french beans at home and the runners for the 4yo's teepee. I'll probably find room for some mangetout somewhere....

I am, however, crazy in love with courgettes and squashes, so I always want to make space for these.

There's probably lots more I'd like to grow, but we have so little space - another reason I don't want to lose more to paths. I've argued for narrowing the beds as our first try had two beds I can't reach the middle of, so we're losing some growing space by doing that anyway.

It's all swings and roundabouts, isn't it?

I'm really enjoying the discussion, really helps me make my mind up about things. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Not a huge legume fan!!! Shakes head in confusion

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Well, I do love french beans. I like to have a glut of those to freeze for curries and chilli. But I can't stand runners (DH likes them) and I've never had any success with peas as such......

Comment

Do large squash like Crown Prince work trained over arches?

Comment

Originally posted by TrixC View Post
                Do large squash like Crown Prince work trained over arches?
                Only with good supports for the fruit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X