green manures..

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Amandaod,

Green manure is a cover type crop, think of it as an organic blanket cover that suppresses weeds, prevents soil erosion and draws the nutrients back up to the surface. There are a variety of plants used to do this, some like clover or beans/tares will also 'fix' nitrogen into the soil via the roots. The idea is to sow them before winter slows growth but cut them back before they flower and produce seed. the cut tops can be left as surface mulch, added to the compost bin or dug back into the soil. all of which help feed the organisms in the soil and keep the loom free and light!

The question of digging depth is about not putting the nutrients too deep so they can't be accessed easily. Don't forget rain has the effect of flushing those nutrients deeper down out of reach. This is one reason that tree leaf mould is so good, it has the really deep trace elements brought back up to reuse.

HTH.

Comment

Many months on, my green manures ended up a mixture of mustard, winter rye and phacelia.

It's now getting towards the time I want to dig it in, am I right in thinking it needs to be approx three weeks before I want to sow.
      And, dig it in only lightly.. 15cms approx, so about half the depth I usually dig!?

Thanks
      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X