Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laying slabs

Hi,

Just after your advice on the best way to lay slabs in regards to allotments and veggie patches. I don't want to go to all the faff of laying the perfect patio type effect but am worried about just bunging them down and dealing with lots of movement and weeds that will annoy me. All help and advice greatly appreciated as always

If you are not wanting to use concrete to lay & grout them, I would think the easiest way is to lay down some weed suppressant fabric, spread out a couple of bags of sand depending on how many flags you want to lay, lay the flags as level as you can tapping them with a rubber mallet, brush sand into the gaps in the flags.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

^^^^^ snap...that's what OH did on our lottie....without the membrane . Would have been better with it in retrospect!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Did the same as BigMallly, as laying concrete is not permited, but also edged the slabs with a wooden frame staked at the corners. It will still move about, but can easily come up and be re done when required.

Comment

TY, you have confirmed what I was thinking but was worried there was something I was overlooking

Comment

If you just lay flags on sand they will move make sure you put some cement in the mix and when it rains it will set the flags
            When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

Originally posted by jonny the plant pot View Post
              If you just lay flags on sand they will move make sure you put some cement in the mix and when it rains it will set the flags
              Lots of sites don't allow concrete. Ours doesn't. Fine if it's your own back garden obv.
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Butt them hard up to each other & put pegs around the perimeter to hold them in place..
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X