first allotment patch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthonyox10 View Post
    However i did have a brain wave. Down by our communal area of the flats, theres an area of land that technically is part ours and part our nxt door neighbours. However this hasnt been touched by either of us in 4 years, so i may claim it as my own.
    Have a chat with your next door neighbour before you do anything - unless you have absolute rights over some of the ground. Wouldn't want you to put a lot of effort in and have your neighbour complain about it.
    However, if you're happy to go ahead with it, then do it. You stand more chance of growing something there than on your balcony. A few raised bed planters would look good and you could try out various crops to see how you get on, before you have an allotment of your own.

Comment

Fingers crossed you will not have to wait long.

Are you on the list for all 4 sites? I waited all of about 3 weeks to get mine and had it for about 7 weeks now.

I know nothing but have been given lots of advice and been reading up, but I guess I will learn more from my mistakes.

So far I have spent:

£34 - Years Rent
      £20 - Key deposit
      £10 - Spade (Lidl)
      £10 - Fork (Lidl)
      £3 - Rake
      £11 - Seed Potatoes

and then about £20 on various seeds and gloves etc from the pound shop.

My plot came with lots of stuff on it, much of it useful, some of it dangerous and some of it just rubbish so I have got plenty from the piles I have moved. The society have given me and the guy nextdoor a polly tunnel to use for storage, friends and fellow plot holders have given me seeds or are growing me some stuff from seed ready to plant out.

Was looking into getting some wood chippings to make some paths, even priced it up to buy although wanted to avoid that. However the site had 2 tonnes delivered by the council yesterday so spent an hour in the rain today claiming a load and starting a path through a trouble some section.

So what I am trying to say is do not worry about cost, buy what you can when you can and you will make do.

Comment

Originally posted by jonbyrne View Post
        friends and fellow plot holders have given me seeds or are growing me some stuff from seed ready to plant out.
        I would not accept any form of Brassica plants from anyone - I'd hate to introduce Clubroot by accident, as I'd never get shot of it ...

Dunno about Onions (Onion White rot is almost impossible to get rid of) - I'd probably accept Onion plants if raised from seed

Can't think of anything else where I would say No though !!
        Last edited by Kristen; 29-03-2015, 03:24 PM.
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

That makes me feel a whole lot better lol thanks mate

Comment

From our site, now is the time vacant plots are let. So being clear with the officer/secretary of that site that you are very keen might help. When/if you do get one, definitely take it slow and buy the minimum amount of tools you think you need for the first year, till you know you will stick at it.

I've spent a lot on my plot compared to other people above - adding up the plants & trees, wood, compost, tools, shed, paint, 2 greenhouses it comes to a lot, even if some of it is secondhand/free/reduced. BUT on the other hand I used to spend a similar amount other things. On half plot, which was 3/5 cultivated I have grown £500-worth of food. It does pay back over time.
            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Im meeting with him on thursday, so hopefully i can set a goos first impression and might get one

Comment

Good luck on Thursday.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Have a chat with your next door neighbour before you do anything - unless you have absolute rights over some of the ground. Wouldn't want you to put a lot of effort in and have your neighbour complain about it..
                  They may even be keen to help.

Comment

Good luck on Thursday Anthony.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I must have spent a good 3-400 quid at least on my allotment and Ive got 40 onions in so far! that doesn't include a shed or greenhouse that's just gubbons to protect the plants, fertiliser and bits and pieces

Comment

Where've you been shopping?.......Harrods?............
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Depends what you already own before you start BM. I sympathise, I had nothing to start with and no one to borrow it from. So my bill includes a battery drill, a mallet, a hammer, netting, water pipe, gardening tools, seeds, 14 fruit trees and bushes etc etc..Thankfully from here on in I think I'm done. If we ever move there will be a lorry for stuff from the flat and a lorry to take everything from the plot!
                          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

25kg potato fertiliser £35
                            Growmore £12
                            Chicken manure£7
                            Liquid feed elixir £20
                            Dolomite lime£16
                            100m water pipe £70
                            Scaffold netting £70
                            It all adds up the rest are tools and bits and pieces

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X