No announcement yet.

Gilly's Allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget you can also grow flowers on a lottie, in fact I would recommend it.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Hi Gilly and Neil and welcome
      You must have been given one of the best plots ever. Lucky you I'm excited for you!
      Think about what you like to eat first, that will help you plan what to sow and where.
      Keep the photos coming - we're a nosey lot
      I totally agree. Who ever gets a plot in that condition? It is such an unusual event.

Comment

Struth, your lottie fairy was definately smiling on you when that fabulous piec e of land came your way. I bet you are really going to enjoy it. Good Luck.
        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
          Struth, your lottie fairy was definately smiling on you when that fabulous piece of land came your way.
          It's about time the Nice Fairy paid us a visit because her cousin, the Sh*t Fairy has been almost a permanent resident these past two years Since December 2012 I have lost a good job (left because we were supposed to be moving house then it all fell through on the final day!!!), had a very bad attack of shingles, lost my dog and had almost 18 months of being SO broke because both of us had hours cut in our jobs But hey, things have started to pick up and now that I have an allotment I'm sure this will prove to be THE best therapy going

Bigmallly ~ all my previous gardening has been flowers so I intend to definitely have a LOT of flowers on my site this year whilst I get to grips with getting the plot the way we want it and learning my way around vegetables Lots of cheap n cheerful hardy annuals to attract bees and other beneficial insects and bring lots of colour.

The strangest thing is that Neil is taking a LOT of interest in the allotment!!! He's been reading books and a GW magazine on night shift and keeps coming home and telling me what we MUST grow!!! I've got to pop out soon to the shops so no doubt he'll be pinching my copy of Grow Your Own that I'm going to pick up from WH Smiths!
          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

That's brilliant Gilly, I can almost feel your excitement..............
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

All I can say is jammy cow. in the a very jealous way all that and a stocked shed to boot.

Oh and good luck - I only have a large mixed veg plot about 4 x 15m in my garden with crap soil, keeps me busy enough - but my OH is allergic to gardening so it is only me, plus this is my first year of not working away all week.

Comment

Gilly

Loads of great info out there try the RHS a trusted unbiased sourced..

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own

Comment

Originally posted by TrysHard View Post
                  All I can say is jammy cow...
                  That's what I would have said to someone THAT lucky too!!!

I almost burnt the tea tonight because I had my nose in the Grow Your Own magazine Just as well I always set a timer because I know what I'm like for getting distracted...cooking is not my forte Though I guess I'll have no option but to improve once I've got all that lovely veg to eat. Neil is gutted that he might have to wait two seasons before he can eat his homegrown rhubarb though He's taken my magazine off to work...as I forecast!!!

Good idea about checking out the RHS site...completely forgot about them! I'll check them out tomorrow afternoon once I get back home from work.
                  If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

welcome to the vine

congrats on the plot looks like you need to put the lottery on cause your luck is in
                    by the way everyone on here is amazing they will help you with anything you need to know
                    All My Spare Time Is Spent On The Plot .. Gardening Is What I Love To Do..
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
                      Neil is gutted that he might have to wait two seasons before he can eat his homegrown rhubarb though He's taken my magazine off to work...as I forecast!!!
                      Thats one of the great things about allotments is you can play swapsies so much easier, you never know just keep and eye out and ask around.

Comment

Im not too sure it's ethical to swap Neil just because he's borrowing a magazine

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

You could give him a stick as a treat........up boy.........beg............

Comment

old trev

hiya Gilly
                            just come across this forum today and read your letter,couldn't keep the smile of me face at your obvious pleasure,good on you pet,hope it is the start of a lot o GOODLUCK for a change!!!

Comment

Hi old Trev and welcome to the Forum.
                              Sounds like you might know Gilly's new plot I feel I do from the photos and Gilly's description. She's a very lucky lady

Comment

Spent a couple of hours there today measuring out beds and sorting through the potatoes left in the shed to see what I could salvage to plant out in a few weeks when the soil warms up enough. I seem to have three different types - normal brown ones, pinkish ones and purple ones (no idea on varieties) Turns out, when we dug through the stuff in the shed, there were SIX trays of potatoes! A few had obviously been a mouse's winter supplies and were well nibbled so they've been chucked out but there's a good amount left over to grow on. I only managed to sort through four trays before I had to pack up to take Hattie to the vet for her blood test at 2pm. I'll do the other two tomorrow morning before I have to head off to work at midday.
                                I've moved my nasturtiums and bulbs into the greenhouse because it's more cosy than the polytunnel (which is actually quite draughty because the bottom section is green mesh stuff rather than plastic) and also the potatoes (need to check on how to chit them in preparation...whether it should be in a light warm spot or a dark place?) and just generally enjoyed myself. It just felt SO tranquil and relaxing on the allotment...I can see me spending LOADS of time there in the coming months!

A few pics from today...

I had some sprouting baby spuds in my fridge *blush* so why waste them?

My potatoes

Purple spuds?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X