No announcement yet.

This year I should have peas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you grow a lot of peas, you'd need an awful lot of pots, given that suggested density is about 10 peas to a foot run

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
      If you grow a lot of peas, you'd need an awful lot of pots, given that suggested density is about 10 peas to a foot run
      Oh I dunno, maybe 6 seeds per pot, 5 pots per metre of row, sounds do-able.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

maybe, that's not so bad - what size pot for 6 seeds, do you think you'd need?

Plotman says he uses small ? which made me think only a couple per pot

Comment

When I grew peas (I never bothered with them last year) - I used fibre pots from a pound shop then planted the whole lot outdoors when the weather was right.

The gutter method seems to be a bit 'faffing about' for me.

I would rather use the guttering for channeling water towards a water butt or something similar.
          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

The guttering is really quick and not at all faffy, I sowed in pots once and that took far longer to plant out as each had to be planted individually rather than sliding the whole lit out in one go

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
              The gutter method seems to be a bit 'faffing about' for me.
              Unless you only grow a couple of foot row you should try it. Individually sowing peas in pots, looking after and watering the pots and then planting out is a huge amount of faff by comparison.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I got itchy fingers and sowed 12 peas, which are now mostly sprouting! They're in rootrainers on the windowsill so ok for now but need to go in the greenhouse at some point.

This is my first time with rootrainers but I'm beginning to see it'd be a pain to get a couple of the thingies out when peas are sprouted and ready to be potted on when other seeds are only just sprouted :/

Comment

Originally posted by Bohobumble View Post
                  This is my first time with rootrainers but I'm beginning to see it'd be a pain to get a couple of the thingies out when peas are sprouted and ready to be potted on when other seeds are only just sprouted :/
                  Things are better left in root trainers I think?

I sow predominantly in seed trays - shallow and easy to prick out from. I mostly use 1/4 size seed trays. I also use 9cm square pots, for things that are likely to be in the pots for ages (slow germinators, or slow to grow before needing pricking out) but that only applies to Ornamentals, luckily no veg seed that I grow is that fussy! but I resent the depth of pots; I do have some "pans" (shallow pots) but they are all circular, I ought to try to find some small-ish, square, shallow pots/pans. (I expect there are suitable containers in the kitchen, heading for the bin!, but I grow lots of stuff and prefer to have purpose made containers so that they are all uniform as it helps me with time & motion when moving things around / pricking out and so on.
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                    Things are better left in root trainers I think?
                    Yeah they're OK for now, I was thinking down the line (I meant planted, but I'm saying potted on so often!), I need to remove the lid for the peas tho and some of the other seeds are barely germinating
                    Last edited by Bohobumble; 07-02-2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X