which weedkiller is best?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which weedkiller is best?

Hi there,problems with new allotment. It was waist high in weeds and a chap at the allotment sprayed it with round-up. This has resulted in all the weeds flopping over and had made it damn near impossible to strim and clear. I wanted to do it without weedkiller and dig it all out but have now decided that once I clear the matt of grass and weeds lying on the top I might use weedkiller again to finally get rid of all the nasties but which one is best?

IMO what you should have done was to strim the plot rake up the weeds then spray it with round up.
    Round up is very good takes about two weeks to get down to the roots and kill the plant, it is neutralised when it touchs the soil therefore you could spray the weeds and plant straight in the ground if it was your want.

Comment

I understood glysophate needed the green parts of the weeds to be effective. If you strim the green growth there will be nothing for the chemical to be absorbed into and it won't work as effectively. After two weeks it will have started to work and you will see the whole plant die - roots and all.

Does anyone know what the strongest glysophate based weed killer is? I've read that round-up and other DIY store based products are not as chemically strong as other versions. I've seen concentrated products such as roundup ultra but is that the same thing? Are you just wasting product if you dilute it half measures because you need a different compound to make it strionger?
      http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Matt
        I have a strimmer that works at variable heights anything from ten foot off the top of a ladder to ground level I am therefore able to chose how much to strim and how much green stuff to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
          I understood glysophate needed the green parts of the weeds to be effective. If you strim the green growth there will be nothing for the chemical to be absorbed into and it won't work as effectively. After two weeks it will have started to work and you will see the whole plant die - roots and all.

Does anyone know what the strongest glysophate based weed killer is? I've read that round-up and other DIY store based products are not as chemically strong as other versions. I've seen concentrated products such as roundup ultra but is that the same thing? Are you just wasting product if you dilute it half measures because you need a different compound to make it strionger?

Matt,

The glyphosate that is sold in the garden centres (under various names - not just roundup) IS less concentrated than the commercial equivalent. However - i work in the industry and can't even get hold of any! try ebay if you're really desperate! I've never used the Roundup ultra, but i always use the strongest rate on all weeds since i know its less concentrated.

Alternatively - add a wetting agent (or adjuvant) to the solution in the dprayer - this makes the active ingredient spread much better over the foliage and improves the sticking on weeds with waxy or repellent leaves. A drop of washing up liquid will do the trick or you may be able to buy one.
          There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
          Happy Gardening!

Comment

Eden, go on e-bay and type in "glysophate" in the search box, select gardens and homes in section box. Here you'll find the pro version of Round-up. It costs about £23 for 1 litre, but it's worth the cost. It's a lot thicker than the ordinary stuff and four times stronger. I used a normal measure per watering can and within 3 weeks the weeds had turned brown and died. You only need a small amont of new growth on the weeds for it to work.

Phil
            Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

I agree with Skegblade And for really tough stuff - Mares Tails - throw some soapy water over it first.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I am clearing a second plot(easy way this time!!)The thing to do is find a friend with a spray licence! i was given some excellent agricultural strength glyphosate a few years back. I prefered to give it to another mate + a decent drink, to do the job with his proper kit and throw some nettle and bramble stuff in as well. It is nasty jollop and you want to have a dedicated sprayer and respirator etc. and also the experience not to drift it over everyone's crops at the same time! It is also quite important to get the strength right; so as it doesn't scorch the top off before the roots have sucked it up. (with the greatest respect) If you don't know what your doing (like me) it maybe one thing that is best left to an experienced hand.

Wetting agent 's a good idea Protea, i'll mention that to him next time

We didn't strim first. If you do, you must then wait a few weeks for the new growth to spray. I'll clear it in a few weeks time see what resprouts -if any thing- assess whether we need to go again and if not cover as much as I can with Mypex and cardboard etc. 'till i dig it in autumn.

Given that we are not using green and groovy methods here! what about one one those flame guns to clear up? used to see them everywhere-probably been banned now!
                Last edited by Paulottie; 19-06-2007, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skegblade View Post
                  Eden, go on e-bay and type in "glysophate" in the search box, select gardens and homes in section box. Here you'll find the pro version of Round-up. It costs about £23 for 1 litre, but it's worth the cost. It's a lot thicker than the ordinary stuff and four times stronger. I used a normal measure per watering can and within 3 weeks the weeds had turned brown and died. You only need a small amont of new growth on the weeds for it to work.

Phil
                  Make sure you spell it glyphosate - it might not recognise it.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I bought 5 litres from our local countrywide store recently for £57 and thats the Agricultural strength. sprayed one lottie a week ago and it's already starting to go over so I did another last night. (oh yes, I'm not having the first plot I sprayed now, we let it to someone else so I'm having a different one hence spraying two )
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

I bought my glyphosate (named Gallup 360) from our local crop spray contractors - costs £21 for 5 litres - enough to spray 5 hectares at the correct rate. Obviously worth shopping around, espesh if you live rural !!
                      Rat

British by birth
                      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X