No announcement yet.

New allotment - how to plan?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would plan. Main reason is I enjoy the planing stage. There is nothing better than sitting on the sofa surrounded by all your seed packets, a big not book, lots of coloured pencils on a wet cold winters day planing next years plot . Just feels like your still achieving something without freezing to death . I know the plan is a winner when I can look at it in a months time and it still makes sense .

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
      I can see I'm going to have to enhance my own rudimentary spreadsheets a bit!
      Oh dear, what have I started!

One more Geeky / Pedantic point. If I plant, say, 3 varieties of something - Onions or Garlic - all "next" to each other in a bed, I plant them in Alphabetical order, and then when the Magpies have nicked the labels (might be the kid though ... have to watch out when I shoot the culprit!!) I still have a fair chance of guessing which is which.

By shading in the months that I expect the crop to need the space, I can plan succession.
      I have my "sowing calendar" in a more structured spreadsheet, so that I can sort by Sow Date and "Worth checking it if needs pricking out yet" date order

But that doesn't cater well for successional sowing; for some crops I have only a couple of major sowings (Sweetcorn for example) so I put them in the spreadsheet twice (i.e. as though both entries are Primary Crop Entries), for other things like Lettuce and Cauliflower (I sow 6 per fortnight, which is about the number we eat) I make sowings as close to the 1st and 15th of the month as I remember to do it ... and do all the packets in the "Successional Sowing" box, until I remember that that should be the last date for that one!

When I have a moment I'll document my Spreadsheet for Vegetable Seed Sowings ...
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
        Joseph Chamberlain Memorial Clock Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        That's the tower in your pic..
        I don't know how that came to me.

But spend time planning - don't rush.
        Lol yes that's Old Joe, my allotment is in Selly Oak, not far from university and QE hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
        Bex

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
          I would plan. Main reason is I enjoy the planing stage. There is nothing better than sitting on the sofa surrounded by all your seed packets, a big not book, lots of coloured pencils on a wet cold winters day planing next years plot . Just feels like your still achieving something without freezing to death . I know the plan is a winner when I can look at it in a months time and it still makes sense .
          Lol this sounds like my kind of planning especially if a glass of wine is involved. I've ordered a project book with graph and lined paper and I'll borrow the kids coloured pencils.

Kristen - I do need to pay more attention to successional sowing, do as you say, 6 a fortnight. I sowed all in one go this year so had loads altogether and then nothing for a few weeks when something else was ready. A lot of lettuce, for example, went to seed because I was all lettuced out.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
          Bex

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
            I have my "sowing calendar" in a more structured spreadsheet, so that I can sort by Sow Date and "Worth checking it if needs pricking out yet" date order

But that doesn't cater well for successional sowing; for some crops I have only a couple of major sowings (Sweetcorn for example) so I put them in the spreadsheet twice (i.e. as though both entries are Primary Crop Entries), for other things like Lettuce and Cauliflower (I sow 6 per fortnight, which is about the number we eat) I make sowings as close to the 1st and 15th of the month as I remember to do it ... and do all the packets in the "Successional Sowing" box, until I remember that that should be the last date for that one!
            That's pretty much the same as I do, lose track otherwise.....

Originally posted by Bex View Post
            Lol yes that's Old Joe, my allotment is in Selly Oak, not far from university and QE hospital.
            Reminds me of student days

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post

When I have a moment I'll document my Spreadsheet for Vegetable Seed Sowings ...
              OK, I've put a step-by-step guide on my Blog, here's a picture of the spreadsheet itself

K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

WOW Kristen - I'm impressed, very impressed.
                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Kristen does anything actually fail in your veg patch - you seem to lack that element of surprise?
                  I am very impressed btw (VERY!)
                  I already know I have no hope of ever running my veggy patch with that much planning, organising and discipline, but then I accept everything even small ugly self seeded failures

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X