Plot layout

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    Everything else I start in March in the gh ... It takes more time & effort than direct sowing, but gives better results in the end
    I do the same, and refer to it as "maximum faff" but I only say that to stop other people saying it back at me! I actually think it is less work:

To sow outside requires making a seedbed and sowing the seed. The seed then starts off at exactly the same time as the weeds - the weeds, by definition!, will germinate more quickly and grow faster, so there is then some painstaking hand weeding needed.

Thus, in practice, I'm not sure it actually takes more time & effort.

I then count the upsides of raising in the greenhouse and planting out:
    • I can sow seeds in the evening, after dark, after work, any day of the week I like - I don't have to wait for good weather.
    • I can plant out within a reasonable window - the plants will "hold" in their containers for 2 or 3 weeks [beyond my intended planting time] before getting desperate
    • I grow exactly the number I want and plant out with no gaps etc. so no issue with thinning and potentially having gaps and so on.

Maybe folk that sow-direct would take issue with me though?

One slightly negative point! Last year I grew some Amaranthus [in my ornamental garden], sown early, raised in the greenhouse to nice plants in 9cm pots, planted out towards end of May ... they grew, flowered and looked nice.

This year they have grown from self-seed, were well into June before they made much of an appearance ... and are MASSIVE compared to last year's plants

So I am now starting to doubt whether transplanted is as good as sown-in-situ ...
    Last edited by Kristen; 29-09-2014, 11:04 AM.
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
      I am now starting to doubt whether transplanted is as good as sown-in-situ ...
      Yeah, if the conditions you give them are particularly suited to a particular plant, they'll def. grow better from self-sown. Sunflowers & cornflowers, I've given up planting under glass because they do better on their own ~ I just transplant them if I want to move them around
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Yeah, if the conditions you give them are particularly suited to a particular plant, they'll def. grow better from self-sown. Sunflowers & cornflowers, I've given up planting under glass because they do better on their own ~ I just transplant them if I want to move them around
        The lady on the plot opposite me has some beautiful sunflowers all down one side of the plot. She told me last week that they're all transplanted from self seeded ones. Look really cheery and I'm hoping mine do the same next year

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X