Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...e-ptdc0054.jpg

What are those shrubs?

TBH it doesn't look like a traditional allotment.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...e-ptdc0055.jpg

And whats that?

I can't tell from your pictures what fruit and vegetables you have growing.

Comment

^^^^I have to agree with AD, if your committee is made up of traditional vegetable growers that might be their issue

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
        ^^^^I have to agree with AD, if your committee is made up of traditional vegetable growers that might be their issue
        I think there might have been strawberries on one of the pictures but the rest looks like a garden with lots of hedging and shrubs.

Even if they are all edible plants then you are still probably causing shade issues for neighbours with the height of plants.

If they're not edible plants then you've not got an allotment.

Ask for a site visit and label up everything that you have eaten a crop from. Show them it's a productive food producing plot.

I suspect I know why they are unhappy though.
        Last edited by alldigging; 18-10-2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Hello the bush in picture, All Digging looked at , is a snowberry bush . It was there when I took on plot 10 years ago ,there are also two mature silver birch at path and five more at the top .The site had been neglected for several years and had many plots overgrown . The tunnel thing was all trees and there are 2 large tree stumps top and bottom . There are three growing beds with redcurrants gooseberries strawberries and a small patch of raspberries. There are numerous plants around the small beds at borders and a larger flower bed to the top right . The larger bed had wild flowers in it and I do not wish to grow anything edible there as a large amount of fibres from carpets that had been left to rot were impossible to extract from the ground .
          The issue of shading has been brought up . the neighbours either side do not object to the appearance or nature of the plot . The neighbour downhill says it cause's excessive shade . I dispute this as the shade caused is in the morning lasts for two hours with the steepness of the hill and direction the sun rises . The same person that complains about the shade constructed a new hut that puts my own plot in shade all afternoon , although annoyed I have not complained.
          My other plot is more normal , 5 rectangular beds all with boards as edges and slabbed in between . All normal produce is grown there .
          Last edited by RobertGlasgow; 18-10-2014, 09:35 AM.

Comment

It would be good to see some photos of the "more normal" plot too Robert - just to get a balanced view. The ones you've shown look like my woodland garden and I know how difficult it is to grow veggies and most fruit in the shade.
            I also have snowberries suckering and selfseeding themselves around. Not my favourites, I must say!!

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGlasgow View Post
              I do not wish to grow anything edible

The same person that complains about the shade constructed a new hut that puts my own plot in shade all afternoon , although annoyed I have not complained.
              My other plot is more normal , 5 rectangular beds all with boards as edges and slabbed in between . All normal produce is grown there .
              Shade can be photographed as evidence.

That plot sounds a nightmare.

I assume they want all the non-fruit trees (and maybe fruit trees) cut down and it to be used as an allotment.

Comply or give it up.

Allotments are for growing food. If you've had that one ten years and can't then give it up.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGlasgow View Post
                the neighbours either side do not object to the appearance or nature of the plot .

Probably not to your face.

Comment

I think you need to closely read your tenacy agreement as to what you can and can't grow.

The NSALG's definition is:
                  "An allotment is an area of land, leased either from a private or local authority landlord, for the use of growing fruit and vegetables. In some cases this land will also be used for the growing of ornamental plants, and the keeping of hens, rabbits and bees."

It would seem the primary uses is for the growing of fruit and vegetables.

Comment

I too am struggling a bit with this plot. From the photos there is very little food being grown and that is likely to be a problem for any committee or allotment governing body. You would probably have a better case if you had only had the plot a year or so as that could be deemed a work in progress but after 10 years I would expect some demonstration of self sufficiency. Do you grow anything on that plot except the fruit you mention? If not, then to be honest it sounds like more hassle than it's worth and I'd give that one up and concentrate on the other one which sounds more productive. Apologies if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick but I'd not be very positive about you getting the outcome you want.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Much as the idea may stick in your throat, why not arrange a meeting with the committee/write to ask them to explain exactly why you achieved 0.5 .
                      All very civil.
                      They may then explain what you would need to do to attain a higher score.

At least at that point you know exactly what you are fighting against rather than trying to guess.

It does seem harsh to let you have that plot as , in reality, a garden for so long and no-one mentioning anything and then suddenly threatening to take it off you.
                      If you keep things civil, with a few adaptations you never know, they may be happy for you to keep it.

Having said all that, I wouldn't want to be the poor guy/lass taking on that plot and having to clear it all!

Perhaps a compromise would be to allow it to be a community garden at weekends?

Just a few thoughts.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm on our allotment committee and have been for a number of years.(Once on it's difficult to get off!)
                        We're all volunteers and give our time freely to run the site for the Council and to keep the neighbouring residents happy. We always try to run it fairly but do have to notify plot holders who let their plots run to weeds. They then have a time limit of a month to comply or least make a determined effort to clear as much as possible. We do get a few whingers but ask them to join the committee and try to help and they all back off suddenly!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X