Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mechanically preparing an overgrown plot

Hi
    I took over a plot last year but the Allotment Society wanted to spray to kill weeds especially marestail - at that end which has taken until now to sort out. I topped and cleared the plot first with a billhook so it is close to the ground and hsave finally been told I can go on the plot and to start work.

The question is that I keep seeing on here that using a rotovator just tends to spread weeds but I am going to do it mechanically as I can't dig. Being a farmers son I can't see any farmer digging his fields by hand in any case. The normal way would be to use a cultivator (long spring tined implement) then a harrow, then if necessary a rotovator.

Therefore have bought an old 5h.p. rotovator to use as a 'tractor' with wheels on but no tines, found a norlett cultivator to fit behind and am now looking for a harrow but all the ones I can find are too big. I will just have to use a fork unless I can make something.

Anyone else do things this way and got any suggestions or tips?

Next, what to plant? Year ago they would have said plant potatoes to clear the ground, especially as it has had weedkiller on it. Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Regards

John D

Using a rotavator equals root propagation, so if you have dock, dandelion, ground elder, marestail, couch grass or creeping buttercup, these would be increased by chopping up the roots with a rotavator. If you haven't got those all you'll chop up are the beneficial worms.

Comment

Welcome to the vine John. Not being able to dig does not mean you have to resort to Rotavation. A highly suggested method is to cover your plot with cardboard to suppress the weeds. You can plant through the cardboard. Plenty of mulch will also keep weeds down due to lack of light.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi and welcome to the Vine.

Instead of going down, you could always go up.

Shallow raised beds made using the 'lasagne' method worked wonders for me in my first couple of years and are still pretty much weed free part way through my third season on the plot, whereas those that were double dug have become pretty much solid again requiring more digging in of organic materials.

Guess how my next beds are going to be made

Andy
        http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

What farmers do and what gardeners do are different things, farm land is invariably grazed and that kills off many perennial weeds, its also sprayed etc etc, Go the cardboard route it really does work.
          However now you have invested in machinery I doubt you will take this advice so just do a small area with the cardboard as a test. let us know what happens.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X