Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veiwing an Allotment

Hi,

This is my first post! I am going to view and allotment on Saturday after being on the waiting list for over 2 years. I am quite excited and I am worried that it may be offered to some one else before I get the chance to look but I think that is my bad experiences house hunting effecting everything else. Is there anything I need to ask or look for whist I am there? and also would it be bad to start getting excited?

Thank you

Hello & welcome

It would be bad if you were NOT getting excited
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Look around & see what others have on thier allotments in the way of things you may want in the future (greenhouse,shed,chickens,etc),if no buildings are allowed then make sure there is water available.
      Others will be along shortly with more/better ideas.

Comment

Welcome...access to water is a good start. Dont be put off by weeds, see through them and imagine the endless possibilities

Comment

Hi and welcome

Excited is good!

I suggest you think about or ask practical questions, like
          - where's the nearest water supply and can I fasten a hose (mostly you can't)
          - any rules on sheds, bonfires, polytunnels / greenhouses / frames, using cardboard or carpet (in ours, you are supposed to get written permission before putting up a shed, no bonfires except for a designated day in the first week of November, no carpet but everything else is okay)
          - what are the problem weeds on this site
          - what crops does everyone grow well, what do people struggle with
          - have you had much trouble from vandals
          - if I need to bring a trailer in, how close can I get to the plot.

Write down what you want to know as you think of it before Saturday then you'll be well prepared.

Good luck!
          -
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Hi

If you get a choice of plots, then consider what is bordering them too, are there large trees that will drink all the water etc from the soil and shade the plot etc etc

Other than that, what others have said.

good luck on your viewing!

Comment

Just a thought Charlie,can you add your approximate location to your profile please (nearby town/general area) it will help with some answers.
              For instance I suspect you will be needing fleece/micro netting protection if you propose to grow any of the allium family.

Comment

Last thought for the moment.. Take a camera & photo the plot from each side & each end,then you can keep a record of your progress as you look back over the seasons/years you will be amazed where you are & where you started from.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                  Look around & see what others have on thier allotments in the way of things you may want in the future (greenhouse,shed,chickens,etc),if no buildings are allowed then make sure there is water available.
                  Others will be along shortly with more/better ideas.
                  Definitely check on the building thing, we don't have a water supply on site which is no problem at all as we have sheds, greenhouses etc and can harvest rainwater but it would be a real problem otherwise.

Originally posted by crucy86 View Post
                  If you get a choice of plots, then consider what is bordering them too, are there large trees that will drink all the water etc from the soil and shade the plot etc etc
                  An open plot is always nicer in my opinion.

For instance I suspect you will be needing fleece/micro netting protection if you propose to grow any of the allium family.
                  That's very geographic dependent though, I've never had to net my alliums but do use a lot of enviromesh for brassicas and carrots.

Last thought for the moment.. Take a camera & photo the plot from each side & each end,then you can keep a record of your progress as you look back over the seasons/years you will be amazed where you are & where you started from.
                  Photos are an excellent idea, mine was a right mess when I took it on and when I'm feeling that it's getting out of control I like to look at how bad it was at the start to see how far I've come.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for all your advice, I have also added the nearest town to me. I know on the site I applied for there is a small wooded area on the one side, judging on the amount of plots I would say that it means half of a handful of plots are in shade, the rest are open and get the sun. I have written down all the questions plus a few extra and will let you know how I get on. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your advice

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      That's very geographic dependent though, I've never had to net my alliums but do use a lot of enviromesh for brassicas and carrots.
                      I'm fairly sure Charlie lives in the allium leaf miner zone Alison

Edit: just seen the above,may just be safe maybe another question to add to the list
                      Last edited by bearded bloke; 12-06-2014, 02:16 PM. Reason: noted

Comment

You may not get ticks in all the boxes Charlie, but that does not mean things cant be put right in time

Comment

I've got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The man who is charge of the site is dropping off the agreement this week and as soon as I've signed and sorted I can get working on it. I didn't have to ask any questions as he told us everything we needed to know as we were there, the rent is reasonable and he gave us a lot of really good advice and told us that we could go to him anytime as he is retired and can talk all day! The site is over grown but not quite a jungle. The weeds pull out really easily so with the help from a few friends we can have it cleared in an hour, it already has strawberries, raspberries, redcurrent, blackcurrent, apple and cherry trees which I think we will keep but the soil is good and with a bit of feeding we can get some really good crops.

Comment

Well done

I can see that huuuuge grin all the way from here!!

Sounds like you have fallen on your feet with that one!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Welcome and Congratulations Charlie - I'm almost as excited as you are
                              Don't forget to post some photos here so we can have a nose

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X