No announcement yet.

CCTV on site

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are living in an increasingly surveillanced society where we are on video a lot more than we would like to think. I too have a CCTV system, to watch my car and shed. I won't have any so called authority tell me I can't have it when we are (without our permission) placed on camera several times throughout the day from them. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If you want to put one up, then put it up, so long as neighbours nearby don't have any issues with it

Comment

Originally posted by e11 View Post
      We are living in an increasingly surveillanced society where we are on video a lot
      ... and cctv is the least of it, now that every kid has a smartphone. Although experienced cyclists (& longtime drivers) we've been knocked off our bikes 5 times, so we now have cameras on our handlebars/helmet.

Crashes involving bikes mostly driver

I have a camera on my car's dash too. An essential piece of road safety kit, considering that it isn't what you know happened, it's what you can prove.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Cctv on site

Hi all, I may have already asked this question but it's lost in another thread.

I have suggested to our committee that we buy and install a new kit on the building (owned by the Association) on a council run site. We have had lawnmowers stolen over several occasions, and quite recently quite a few panes of glass broken in our greenhouse. We are now discussing spending a lot of money to buy and erect a new secure storage for our new mowers. We are currently using only one of three, with the other two still in the shop.

Most committee members voted in favour but one has brought up the Data Protection law.

Also, have any of you got cctv? Is it allowed? I suggested, and our Chair agrees, that one camera points to the entry gate.

Any thoughts or advice, please? In the meantime somebody is seeking advice from somebody here.

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarz View Post
          Hi all, I may have already asked this question but it's lost in another thread.
          I found your previous thread so have merged the 2 together

Comment

Hi Folks

I don't usually post - I'm more of a 'creeper' but am new to the forum and one day will get around to it.

I just thought I could help you out on the data protection issue (I am DPA trained for work)

CCTV and video images/photographs are not personal data for the purposes of DPA. Data constitutes personal details (name, address, account numbers, etc.) about a specific individual. An image may be stored as data but would you really consider your face to be data?

Most businesses store images of people leaving and entering their premises and are not covered by DPA. CCTV is fine on your own land or land over which you have control and it doesn't matter if you happen to record images from outside your land or a public place.

Unfortunately, many people are now paranoid about this legislation as it is so frequently trotted out by any bearocrat as a reason for not telling them something or to try to make them not do something. It is one of the most frequently misused pieces of legislation that there is. And yes, you can take images of anything you like in a public place that is visible from it without permission - there is no expectation of privacy in a public place.

ob

Comment

Sometimes the way to stop theft is to have people think their actions are being recorded.

Your allotment site = your right to put up CCTV and record images.

Comment

The police will do or not do, what they like, as always.
                Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Not true, anyone can film or photo in public. "Police in the UK have no powers to stop you taking photos in a public place"

Photographers Rights: the ultimate guide | Digital Camera World

Comment

The issue isn't CCTV itself but the setup. Any system will require some sort of storage unit (usually a hard drive) which in itself will need a secure location and electricity to run.

Unless crime is a major issue on your plot, I'd suggest getting dummy cameras (I found some on a popular auction site though I'm sure others can be found elsewhere) and putting them up instead.
                  Proud renter of 4.6 acres of field in Norfolk. Living the dream.

Please check out our story in the March 2014 issue of GYO magazine.

Follow us on Twitter @FourAcreFarming

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X