Tomato advice please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato advice please!

Hello there, my tomato seedlings have been in an unheated greenhouse, but some are now very tall and spindly. It's too soon to plant out, so have put them into bigger pots......tried to plant them as deeply as poss.
    Is there anything else I could do/have done?
    When I do get to plant them out , how deeply can I plant them? Can I remove sets of true leaves to get them deeper?
    Thanks.

How tall are your plants now? Mine were quite spindly up until a week or so ago, but now the stems have thickened up. All I did was to move them to the sunnier side of the greenhouse! They get leggy as they are reaching for the light, so all you can do is to give them as much light as possible. I've planted as deeply as up to first true leaves in the past. I suppose you can plant deeper but have to bear in mind that the rootball will be near the bottom of the pot with nowhere for those roots to go to- unless you are planting straight into the ground and then you have the depth of your topsoil.

Comment

Thanks, I will be planting them outside. I read somewhere there will be a frost/cold snap at the beginning of May, hopefully they will not be like redwoods by the time I get them out!

Comment

Always bury them deeper,they throw new roots of the stems,also if you snap a side shoot of,put it into water white roots grow,then pot up,hey presto a new plant,
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Amazing! Never heard that before..........thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X