Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far do you travel to your allotment?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is 7 miles and approx 20 mins drive.

I think it depends on how much you want it. I have allotments 5 mins walk from my house, but was on a waiting list for four years only to discover 'I wasn't', and I'd have at least another 4 years to wait. The plot I have now was available immediately, so I snapped it up. It's in the opposite direction to my work so I can't pop in on the way to/from either.

It's a big commitment and I've only had it for about 6 weeks, but I refuse to let it become a chore. I will go there at weekends to do big stretches and pop over during the week in the summer to harvest, water, etc.

All going well so far!

Comment

About 1.5 miles so depending on what I have to carry and how much time I have, I'll try to walk up at a weekend rather than drive. I also try to get up at least once a week at a lunchtime and evening but as I work about 1.5 miles in the opposite direction from the plot, I'll take the car then. It might seem like a waste of petrol to travel 6 miles for around 40 mins work max but it's surprising how much you can get done in a short space of time. I know it's not particularly environmentally friendly either but at the moment I find that it really helps to get on top of things.
      Last edited by Plot10; 22-04-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Ours is 3.7 miles away and officially, we're not supposed to have it as we're not "from" the village but we took ours on before that became an official rule.
        Proud renter of 4.6 acres of field in Norfolk. Living the dream.

Please check out our story in the March 2014 issue of GYO magazine.

Follow us on Twitter @FourAcreFarming

Comment

About 5 mins by car, up a very, very steep hill.
          DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
            About 5 mins by car, up a very, very steep hill.
            At least you can roll home

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              At least you can roll home
              True, usually have to get home quick, cos I'm usually such in such a state.
              DottyR

Comment

It's about 2.5mi on the bike, 3.5mi by car as we can't cut across The Common.

I most often cycle which takes about 15 minutes and is quite a pleasant ride, if I'm coming straight from work I might get the bus and then walk and if we have access to the car it's a real luxury to be able to drive.

I put a basket on my bike to help ferry stuff over but even as is I get unusual looks with seed trays on my paniers, a basket with a garden fork poking out and a bag of compost on the back rack.

Comment

Originally posted by sotonallotment View Post
                  It's about 2.5mi on the bike, 3.5mi by car as we can't cut across The Common.

I most often cycle which takes about 15 minutes and is quite a pleasant ride, if I'm coming straight from work I might get the bus and then walk and if we have access to the car it's a real luxury to be able to drive.

I put a basket on my bike to help ferry stuff over but even as is I get unusual looks with seed trays on my paniers, a basket with a garden fork poking out and a bag of compost on the back rack.
                  I've got a trailer for my bike and do wonder what people thing when I cycle past with a trailer of plants on the back waving in the wind.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

They think "There goes a happy soul"!

Comment

My allotment is about 4 miles from home, around a 10-15 min car journey.

I try to visit at least three times a week after work plus at least one weekend visit of around 5 hours during the growing season, and I absolutely love every minute of my time down there.

Our secretary nearly didn't let me have my plot as she was concerned that I lived too far away.

I hope she is a bit less concened now as I enter my second full season with spuds, onions and shallots in the ground and a poly tunnel full of seedlings

I seem to be on the plot more than some who live almost next door, so it isn't just a matter of distance but of commitment

Andy
                      Last edited by Samurailord; 29-04-2014, 09:36 AM.
                      http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

About a third of a mile away. Nice for a walk on a sunny day a quick run in the car if short on time.

Mr G
                        Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

About 2 miles away so i usually drive. My poor little Toyota yaris also acts as my potting shed, storage shed, clothing store, skip and tool shed !!!!
                          Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Comment

1 mile but I feels like a world away thank goodness

Comment

About a mile away, takes about 15 minutes walking, 10 minutes on a bike and about the same by car (due to blocked off roads and traffic lights).

I've moved round a bit though- I was even closer when I applied for the plot, an annoying 3 miles by the time I got it, then I took the opportunity to get closer when I had to move again last year. I'm up there every day or so, even in the depths of winter when the massive site is empty except for me.
                              My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

My plot is about 1 1/2 miles from home ... however when I applied for a plot (2009) the plot was only about 1/3 mile from home.

I use car most of the time, but use my bike sometimes too (I even brought up my 4 greenhouse panels, 2 sides and 2 ends carrying them 1 by 1 while on bike)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X