Plot Sizes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
    IGrow - As you do not quote the size of your plots it is difficult to judge how it compares to our own
    Sorry but I thought I had made it clear that I had taken on a plot a quarter of a quarter of an acre, that is a sixteenth or ten rods. I now have an eighth of an acre (20 rods); approx. 600 square yards.

Comment

Originally posted by iGrow View Post
      Sorry but I thought I had made it clear that I had taken on a plot a quarter of a quarter of an acre, that is a sixteenth or ten rods. I now have an eighth of an acre (20 rods); approx. 600 square yards.
      Well that spells it out clearly - your plot is 4 times the size of our full plot and 8 times the size of my own half plot - the NALG recommendations for a standard plot is 10 rods so you have twice the size of that - lucky you
      Last edited by Sheneval; 27-02-2014, 11:39 PM.
      Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

I don't know about lucky... But I am busy! There is no water provided so we have to harvest or bring in water from home. A small shed on each plot to enable rain to be harvested reduces the amount of growing space. Then there is the rent to consider and I am happy to pay the asking rate which I consider to be reasonable. There are empty plots on the site which the council do not try to fill as they consider it not to be cost effective. I live in South Lincolshire which is a strong agricultural area - maybe with the abundance of farm shops and people already being in the industry there is just not the demand for allotments as there is in the rest of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
          Can someone tell me what the law says about local authorities providing allotments? Do they have to and if so is there a fixed area they have to supply in relation to the population.If councils are in breach of this act has anyone challenged them in court?
          Bill...I can't answer that directly, but this has been discussed before. Something to do with a minimum number of people asking for one .
          Have a search using our search facility...it's certainly been discussed in several threads before now!
          .I'm sure you'll find the link to them.
          Last edited by Nicos; 28-02-2014, 07:13 AM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Here you go Bill - all the info you could ever want

Councils STATUTORY OBLIGATION To Provide Allotments | The Secret People
            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Can someone tell me what the law says about local authorities providing allotments? Do they have to and if so is there a fixed area they have to supply in relation to the population.If councils are in breach of this act has anyone challenged them in court?
              Server Error - Parliament UK
              22 Mar 2012 - The Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908 imposed a duty on councils – which remains in force - to provide allotments if six or more people ...

But there is nothing about timescale.

If you have a big waiting list in an area then allotment organisations should badger the council for more sites.

Comment

Yes the legislation seems very wooly, they do have an obligation to supply sites if the demand exsists but there is no mention of it being sutable or having to have any services whatsoever.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Yes the legislation seems very wooly, they do have an obligation to supply sites if the demand exsists but there is no mention of it being sutable or having to have any services whatsoever.
                  They only have to provide land and access to it, and mark the boundaries. Anything else is a bonus.

Comment

Hazel,

As ever your views represent common sense - I would welcome any info you have as I think the mix of plot sizes is the right answer and we have to be more stringent with those who take on plots without taking on the responsibility of keeping them in order - in a way it is our own fault because some of these people arrive on site without a clue about the work involved or how to split it into bits so it does not become overwhelming - we will change this after the AGM when the current Chair, Vice chair, Secretary and Treasurer, who have been in charge since the beginning stand down. They welcome the smaller plots because they make far more money from these plus the membership fees come from a far larger number but have no interest in giving incomers any info. other than quoting 'Thou shalt not' do this, that or whatever.
                    Shen - we have 43 full plot equivalents that are made up of 19 full plots, 41 half plots and 14 quarter or mini plots. We have a waiting list at the mo, but I can't recall what it is, and didn't make a note at the AGM, I'm afraid, but I think it is 9 or so.

New plotters haveto start on a mini plot to make sure that they can cope, and can move up to a larger plot at the next shuffle round. The plot allocations must be logistically quite difficult for the committee to sort out - how is seems to work is that at renewal time, any plots becoming vacant are divvied up to existing plotters first if they have asked for a swap (or down size or upsize) and then new plotter offered any quarter plots that become free.

Not sure what happens if all the mini plots are full with satisfied plotters (there is no compulsion to move off a 'starter' plot') yet half or full plots remain unfilled AND there is a waiting list. I would guess that that's the point that a larger plot would be split. Although as I say, the committee is keen to retain a balance.

Comment

Hazel,

Many thanks - looks like your site is well run.

Remind me of your full plot sizes again please

I have just discovered that when the site was first opened there were 14 full plots and 30 half plots and the Council were happy with that ratio at that time - there are now 6 full plots 150sqm or thereabouts and a mix of 83 half and quarter plots, the vast majority being half plots - (possibly about 10 quarter)

However I have passed this to my local Councillor who being a keen gardener herself appreciates the need for a reasonable size plot if a wide range of vegetables of a reasonable quantity is to be grown - I await results.

Thanks again - your input is much appreciated.
                      Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Sheneval, we're looking into doing a short 1-page guide for new tenants. Does your site do something similar? At the minute it's a combination of the tenancy agreement, and the lettings bod giving a full briefing as they show people around. We've got info on our website too. But not much traffic through it.

Comment

Hazel,

Remind me of your full plot sizes again please
                          A full plot at the Hill is about 250sqm, although they do vary a touch.

Comment

Hazel - that is the standard as per the original recommendation and as the NALG are currently pressing for the Government to make mandatory. I would not have liked to take on an overgrown plot of that size when I first started but would be happy to do so now. Allowing for a shed, polytunnel, a water butt or two and a couple of compost bins, I reckon the land left would grow a god supply of a wide variety of vegetables and would leave room for some fruit for jam plus my favourite rhubarb - I currently have 4 crowns growing strongly - wonderful thing manure
                            Last edited by Sheneval; 28-02-2014, 08:38 PM.

Nutter by Nature

Comment

I was told that I could either have the full plot that I took on or just half of it if that was what I felt I could cope with. I'm very glad I took the whole plot as I've filled it and it's my little space which enables us to be grow all our own veggies all year. I understand the point that people make about splitting plots as it can be a lot to take on but I'd have been devastated to have to have proved myself on a half plot in order to be offered a larger one and move away from the work that I'd carried out to get the first plot established.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison,

Good for you - there seems to be a wide disparity across the country with some Councils having no problems in providing good sized plots whereas others want to cram as many people in as possible - we really need legislation that makes all Councils offer suitable plot sizes people want - Hazel's site seems to represent the best of both worlds and I would like to see similar arrangements here - I am hopeful we will succeed as I understand our neighbouring site refused to allow Council to do what they have been doing here.

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X