Help..... New allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help..... New allotment

I'm sure there are lots of people who will be able to help me. I've just taken on a rather overgrown, unloved allotment plot. I've managed to clear most of it and even have some vegetables growing!

I'm a novice gardener and wondered if anyone can help with what I should be aiming to do in each month like digging, fertilising, planting out etc.

Any advice will be most welcome

Novice plotter

Web site to help new plotters

I have found a site which will help you. It is owned by a Paul Owen who answered a few of my questions about allotments. www.powen.freeserve.co.uk He has a section called gardeners diary, and if you click on the month it gives you a run down on what you should be doing. Hope this helps....Mik
    Last edited by Gooner Mik; 24-09-2005, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Beryl

Hi,
      This is my first visit to this Forum. I am a very keen allotment gardener and know only too well the hard work new plotholders put into their first plots. A few years ago I set up my own allotment web site for fun. Maybe you would like to come and visit. I write a diary month by month and include as much local information as I can.
      I am sure you are going to get a lot of pleasure from your plot.
      My very Best Wishes.

Beryl.
      www.saundersallotment.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Beryl
        Hi,
        This is my first visit to this Forum. I am a very keen allotment gardener
        Beryl.
        www.saundersallotment.co.uk
        Wow! I just looked at your home page and the work you and your husband have put into your allotment realy shows. Thanks for posting the link.
        Jax

Comment

Beryl

Thanks Jax, Glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

Help - New allotment

Many thanks for the replies. Have bookmarked both sites in my favourites and will be visiting often I think!

Comment

For my tuppance worth I would say dont try to do to much. You don't have to get it all planted the first year. Because you need to build compost bins, tidy any trees and work out where to get free manure and loads of grass cutttings.
              My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I have just finished my second year on my allotment which was like yours very overgrown and with lots of debris on it see

http://kooringa.blogspot.com

If I can do it anyone can - hope to give you encouragement and any little bits of advice I can.

I certainly can tell you what not to do - you can see my learning curves in my archives on my blog site!!

Best wishes, and happy gardening - its the best hobby you could have - apart from a few chickens of course

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X