Allotment Committee Duties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
    Having read all the above I have come to realise I could never be an allotment holder, I dont know how you put up with these corrupt and inept committees. I would be expelled in the first week I think.
    The shed thing (including Green Houses and poly tunnels) would be the first thing to get me going, an allotment isnt an allotment without its sheds.
    Bill,

That is what it says in the National Allotment Society's website
    Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
      Just read all of this, can't believe it, just ridiculas, the plot holder was following the correct procedure, but sounds as if from what you say they are aware that they 'on their way out', but one wonders why they want to be part of the Committee anyway. You are your fellow plot holder mates, maybe need to all turn up at the next meeting and get rid of them! ( is that possible).

No sheds, no polytunnels, greenhouses, ridiculas,they're allotments for goodness sake.

Ours are almost the opposite, which equally is not always the best thing!

Yep you to plan a 'takeover', we'll all come to back you up!
      Dotty,

I look forward to your arrival and I promise to lay on tea and biscuits and perhaps a drop of the cratur
      Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Our members wouldn't know what an email was!

At one time we had a twelve page document of rules and regulations imposed on us from the Council, to which we added another four page document of our own rules!

I go to the allotment for relaxation, comaradery and just now and again, to do a bit of gardening!

PS I'm not an anarchist, but howay man!
        Snadger,

Wer'e not quite as bad as 12 pages but many of the rules are petty and some of the safety ones are plain nonsense.

Last year I spent many happy hours on the site - I have had a chat with most of the plot holders and they are all pretty friendly - we have one or two bolshie ones and one or two who keep to themselves but even those will exchange pleasant greetings in the bygoing and the bolshie ones just want to be allowed to get on with growing veg without undue interference.

This has only come to a head because the Chairman told me to take on the Council myself if I didn't like the rules on sheds which I admit got my back up with the result the Council have backed down and the Committee, particularly the Chairman are infuriated that the ruling has been changed.

They now want to step down and hand the Management of the Site back to the Council.

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
          however the Council now refer the application to the Committee for their views and this will now be decided at the next AGM - we seem to have no rule on calling an EGM.

Even without PP I would expect rules on shed sizes and locations as our plots are too small to have anything substantial.
          What does it actually say in your rules?

Am interested in the link for the cash cow reference though as a council bloke said basically don't ask about sheds in front of me as they are a thorny subject for PP.
          Our lease says we can have them though - and there are no planning restrictions here for our site. Another site had very fussy neighbours so have only got 6x4 sheds.

Comment

Rules should be there to ensure that
            (a) people are using the allotments as allotments
            (b) so that people are safe when they go on the site. Which unfortunately has to cover late night intruders up to no good. So no bear traps at all.

You'd think that common sense would be good enough for most people, but experience tells me there are some complete idiots about who think (for example) leaving a huge pile of broken glass about on communal space is a good idea.

Comment

Bill,

That is what it says in the National Allotment Society's website
              This is what it says on the NASLG
              Sheds and structures – The National Allotment Society – National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners Ltd

Sheds and toilets are probably two of the most useful additions to an allotment, but the decision as to whether these can be built will lie with the landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                This is what it says on the NASLG
                Sheds and structures – The National Allotment Society – National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners Ltd

Sheds and toilets are probably two of the most useful additions to an allotment, but the decision as to whether these can be built will lie with the landlord.
                My quote about the National Allotment website was in response to Bill's comment as under: I am well aware that Councils throughout the Country have a variety of positions on sheds

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                The shed thing (including Green Houses and poly tunnels) would be the first thing to get me going, an allotment isnt an allotment without its sheds.

Nutter by Nature

Comment

I know. You also said something about a court case - have had a search and can't find it - can you assist?

Comment

I can't remember where I got the link - thought it was on here - however here is a quote on this subject:

"The Chairman and the National Secretary, NSALG have argued for some 20 years that planning permission for sheds, greenhouses and poly-tunnels on allotment sites is NOT required.

The Legal Consultant has endorsed this argument, citing the High Court Case

CROWBOROUGH PARISH COUNCIL - v - SECRETARY OF STATE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AND WEALDEN DISTRICT COUNCIL

[1980] Property & Compensation Reports, 229, High Court (Queen’s Bench)

as authority

NSALG sought Counsel’s Opinion on this issue, and is delighted to say that Counsel has confirmed the opinion of the Secretary and Chairman; and confirmed the opinion of the Legal Consultant that the Crowborough case is authority for the premiss:

Planning Permission is NOT required for sheds, and/or greenhouses on an allotment plot! Please note: a shed or greenhouse over the standard size of 8 x 6 (available from most garden and DIY centres) that require foundations or are connected to services, might be construed as a permanent structure.

and this is an update

It will be remembered that Issue 1/2010 of Allotment & Leisure Gardener had an article which commenced examination of the controversy as to whether Planning Permission is required for sheds, greenhouses and polytunnels on an allotment plot.

Following advice from NSALG to Parish Councils in Hertfordshire, Sussex and South Wales, the related District Councils have revoked the insistence that such Planning Permission is required.

The foregoing confirms the previously published opinion of NSALG (15 July 2009) that Planning Permission is not required for sheds, greenhouses and poly-tunnels.

Hope this helps - looks like we all need to join the NSALG

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Thanks!
                      Will save that somewhere useful! I like to have the references to hand for when you need them!

That'll be why 8x6 is the max size allowed.

Comment

This has only come to a head because the Chairman told me to take on the Council myself if I didn't like the rules on sheds which I admit got my back up with the result the Council have backed down and the Committee, particularly the Chairman are infuriated that the ruling has been changed.

They now want to step down and hand the Management of the Site back to the Council.
                        Surely that last sentence is 2 issues - stepping down would be great by the sounds of it. But handing Management back to the Council is something the site needs to agree. If some of your more reasonable fellow plot holders can be convinced to step forward you'd have a new Committee and a new era of peace and love.

I've been on our committee for nearly a year and am quite new to growing. Mostly a positive experience so far.
                        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                          Surely that last sentence is 2 issues - stepping down would be great by the sounds of it. But handing Management back to the Council is something the site needs to agree. If some of your more reasonable fellow plot holders can be convinced to step forward you'd have a new Committee and a new era of peace and love.

I've been on our committee for nearly a year and am quite new to growing. Mostly a positive experience so far.
                          Sparrow,

I agree - position will have to be finalised at the AGM and my friend Jim has reluctantly agreed that he will stand for Chairman if no one else wants the job.

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X