Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After a week of confusion, meet my plot!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First afternoon digging went well, my daughter and I managed to clear about 1/4 of the plot and dig over a few strips. It is beautiful soil and we saw some huge worms! Unfortunately it is riddled with horsetail which I imagine won't have been helped by 3 times its apparently been rotavated in the last year. Never mind!

We have 5 bin bags of weeds and roots to dispose of now! Is it just a Case of taking them to the dump? I'm going back tomorrow to try and clear another 1/4 and cover it. 2 for tenner on weed suppressing fabric in The Range. I can't believe how expensive black plastic is

Comment

Originally posted by Methe View Post
      . 2 for tenner on weed suppressing fabric in The Range. I can't believe how expensive black plastic is
      That's why we suggest cardboard - free from bike shops, the back of supermarkets, etc. And you can plant straight through it.

Comment

Ahhh brilliant idea! I guess it biodegrades too. I have a big bike shop just up the road will see what I can lay my hands on.

Comment

Yes, you can leave it in situ to rot down, whereas you usually need to lift the plastic before you can plant anything.

Comment

We have 5 bin bags of weeds and roots to dispose of now! Is it just a Case of taking them to the dump?
            Leave them in the bags and stack them at the edge of the plot. They will rot down into compost.

Comment

Even the the horsetail?

Comment

Even the horsetail - if it's in plastic bags it's not going anywhere. When time comes to use the compost you can easily see if anything's survived. I bet it won't have.

Did you get any photos of your plot? Do you have a shed or waterbutts or a compost bin?

Comment

I have inherited 2 waters buts full of slime, some manky carpet and 7 bamboo sticks

Father Christmas is bringing me a shed

Comment

Ahhh brilliant idea! I guess it biodegrades too. I have a big bike shop just up the road will see what I can lay my hands on.
                    Methe, small bikes have quite a lot of cardboard too.....
                    on a serious note, when I moved into my house the garden was overgrown and as it was about a third of an acre it looked quite daunting but I got the loan of a paraffin weed burner and that helped a lot as I was able to clean up the soil and gave me a chance to work and plant at a more leisurely pace. I know you cant plant up all your plot at present but if you get the weeds cleared and get the soil covered with cardboard (from big or small bikes) I`m sure you will feel happier
                    What ever you do good luck and enjoy.
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

what brilliant advice you've been given..not going to add anymore just agree with the advice to get onions, garlic and broad beans asap. So pleased you sorted the drama out....good luck.
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Glad to hear you are making progress after your awkward introduction to allotmenteering! Good luck with your growing
                        Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

Well done, if you have cleared a quarter already, that's wonderful , hope you can still move tomorrow!
                          DottyR

Comment

I am fairly stiff and its going to be worse tomorrow! We managed to clear some more today and I recon its about 60% done - 10 sacks of weeds. We've dug a 1x4m bed for my onions and garlic and I've been given some strawberries by a new friend which was lovely. I've not quite worked out where the raspberries I've ordered are going to go

The weed fabric from The Range is fairly rubbish. I'm off work on Wednesday so will get some cardboard.

The marestails are everywhere. Spring is going to be a challenge.

Comment

well done. Bet you're feeling satisfied now you've made a start eh?
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Definitely feeling quite chuffed. I'd like to get it cleared completely before the weather changes and the I can get on with building beds etc so when spring comes I can just get on with it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X