Allotment Comittee Advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
    remember though.....a camel is defined as a horse designed by a comittee,don't be the one who adds the fifth leg!
    ..............or get the hump! Lol
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Some really good bits of advice - and I welcome those and any more.

In answer to some of the questions people have asked in response:

Two Sheds - the current set up is (as far as I can decipher) that there is nothing in the coffers for use on any kind of projects and in fact, there is a hole in the accounts for paying rent to the council/water rates. I was hoping people would suggest things they do at their allotments to raise fund. In terms of grants - I was kind of looking for a guide/nudge in the right direction of where soem may be available.

Binley100- it is a "self managed" site which pays costs for rent to the council yes.

Alldigging - what does the rest of hte site think about what mate ? dont understand yer point

Comment

You said "I am working on and formulating some ideas for improving the site, raising funds and reinvigorating what is frankly a tired set up"

Maybe it's a tired set up because no one else is interested.

It is INCREDIBLY disheartening when key committee member(s)fail to show any interest in the activities you organise.
        If no one else wants change, or to get involved then you're wasting your time.

The feeling though when you've had a tidy day and people have come together and then have a bit of social time is fantastic. It is just impossible to get everyone to join in.

Andy(Samurailord) on our site has suggested we all go for a meal to try to encourage people to be more social. So we'll give that a go.

Comment

Our allotment committee is run by the same group of people every year and they're not really interested. Can't really blame them. They got voted in en masse. The poor chairwoman only offered to do the job as a favour. That was 17 years ago!
          Proud renter of 4.6 acres of field in Norfolk. Living the dream.

Please check out our story in the March 2014 issue of GYO magazine.

Follow us on Twitter @FourAcreFarming

Comment

My lotty site has been poisoned for years by a spiteful little band of old men who once held the highest office ( lo! "site rep", what ambition, what power!) and have been bitter about losing it ever since. They make life unpleasant for anyone else who has a go.[/QUOTE]

Ah TS, are you sure you're not on my site??

Comment

I took on the job of minutes secretary shortly after getting my plot in 2011. Hence I've sat through, and minuted, two years of backbiting, bitching, complaining, character assassination and pork-barrelling. It ended two months ago when the Vice Chair launched a verbal attack on me and then threatened me, and the Committee sat by and did nothing.

I considered running for site rep at the next AGM but have decided it's not worth my sanity. Sorry, another bitter and twisted ex-volunteer here.

Comment

Try not to get involved with our committee.
                Last edited by Gina's plot; 16-01-2014, 11:01 PM.

Comment

IT looks like it is more horror stories than anything else like - starting to reconsider my plans !

Comment

AGM is tonight - so wish me luck !

Comment

How did AGM meating go?
                      Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

As I kind of expected (and was warned here) the committee took my suggestions and ideas as a personal attack on their tenure !

I put together a leaflet to hand out which read as follows:

During the last few years it is with heavy hearts and great angst that we have attended AGM’s for the allotment association and noted that more often than not there has been disharmony, accusations and arguments where there should have been a group of likeminded enthusiasts pulling together for the greater good of all members of the site.
                        Instead of the election of keen officers to help take the association forward in positions of responsibility, we have seen election by default, people staying in roles because nobody else wanted the job and a general apathy. In fact we have been asked to elect members and officers without any idea of their plans or what they bring to the table, purely because we know them.
                        We the undersigned want to change this for the better of the site. If elected to the committee and/or as officers we plan to improve the infrastructure and community spirit on the site through the following means:

Total transparency of all accounting & committee meeting minutes at all times. We believe these things should not be something members only see or discuss once a year, and would see:
                        • Monthly accountancy details made public through noticeboards and available on request via e-mail at all times.
                        • Minutes, discussions and action points from committee meetings posted to notice boards as and when they take place and again available via e-mail upon request at all times.

Implementation and ongoing development of a quarterly site newsletter. The Key to a well run society is communication and involvement of all members. Suggestions and submissions from all member will be gladly accepted and we hope to cover items such as the following in the newsletter:
                        • Contact details for all committee members –up to date and accurate
                        • General Site News – including skips, deliveries of stock, shop opening times, offers and information etc
                        • Changes to committee and appointments to any posts
                        • Waiting List details including names, numbers and application process
                        • Agricultural suppliers to advertise and provide discounts and special offers for members

Discussions have taken place and we have been promised access to council funding to improve the site. Suggestions and requests are welcome, with particular attention to be paid to:
                        • Toilets added to the site for the use of all members
                        • Improvement to existing water infrastructure on the site to allow all members fair access to water from the main
                        Councillor Kevin Cluskey it is hoped will be in attendance to answer any questions.
                        Continued Overleaf….

The implementation of two work teams on the site. These teams will be on a purely voluntary basis, with as much or as little help that members can offer. The two teams will cover:
                        1. Site Task Force – to assist with site issues including roadways, paths, fences, repair of weather damage and other site related improvements to benefit the whole site and all members. Volunteers will be required on an ad hoc basis.
                        2. Plot Lets Scheme – a team of volunteers to help and assist individual members with their individual plot either in times of illness/holiday or when the work is simply too much. Volunteers for regular monthly “work days” will be required.

Rent and Rates. Whilst we appreciate the times of austerity and the need for everyone to tighten their belts we are also acutely aware of the need to get value for money. With this in mind we plan to approach the Council regarding rates and water charges and United Utilities in relation to water rates levied with a view to:
                        • Identifying/challenging any present and future plans by the council to increase charges
                        • Clarification from the council of what the site gets in return for its annual rent payment
                        • Opening a dialogue with United Utilities to cover any help they can give with:
                        1. Water Drainage charges on the site
                        2. Waste Water charges on the site
                        3. Water re-use opportunities for rain harvesting
                        We are committed to improving the community spirit on the site and will look to introduce/maintain community activities to include the following (all suggestions welcome):
                        • Seed Swap and Plant Exchange events
                        • Growing Competitions
                        • An annual Show
                        • Summer Barbeque

Thank you for taking the time to read this memo.
                        If you agree with some or all of the points we have raised and want to help to improve the site for the use of all members then we ask you to back the election to the committee and/or as officers of the following:
                        Can anyone tell me how that can be seen as personal and against the existing committee ?

Comment

Maybe this, taken from your leaflet:

Instead of the election of keen officers to help take the association forward in positions of responsibility, we have seen election by default, people staying in roles because nobody else wanted the job and a general apathy. In fact we have been asked to elect members and officers without any idea of their plans or what they bring to the table, purely because we know them.

Comment

Did any one sign it or vote for you?

Comment

RustyLady - maybe I can see that, but it was meant as a general observation of the AGM's and election of officers which was almost forced upon people.

Veggiechicken - a lot of people talked about it before during and afterwards and voted the three of us who had put our names to it onto the comittee.

All in it was a pain in hte butt but we now hope to be able to help move the plots in the right direction.

We had a commitee meeting and there was an element of referall to the points we made but it was good to clear the air and I hope htey now accept that we only want to help.

We will see in the future.

Thansk again to everyone who helped advised (and more often tried to disuade us from it) as it all helpd.

Comment

At least you and two of your mates are now on the Committee. Hopefully now you can GENTLY steer things in the way you want to go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X