No announcement yet.

Winter plot maintenance

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me winter is a time of building and finishing off projects. Last winter I built new beds and put a new fence up ready for the summer. I've recently took over another plot so most of my energy this winter will be spent getting that ready for next year.
    An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

this year I will be trying to overwinter my runner beans by keeping in the shed in a box of just moist sandy compost,like geraniums or dahlias.also receiving my annual manure delivery for the beds I didn't do last year and of course the dreaded shed tidying.
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I am new to allotmenting this year and this is my first winter. I have done alright but whilst speaking to the guy who owns the house behind my plot he says that nothing has ever been put back into the soil. My question is which is more recommended, horse muck or green manure? Any advice would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

I will have some over wintering crops like brassicas and broad beans that will need some attention, but the majority of the winter months will be taken up with structural work like laying new paths and bulding new beds.

Any existing beds that are empty will have a thick layer of well rotted manure on top from late Autumn which should hopefully keep any stray weeds in check.

I may also try some winter salads in trays in my new polytunnel along with some bags of Christmas potatoes.

Not a quiet time for me at all!!

Andy
          Last edited by Samurailord; 11-09-2013, 09:34 AM.
          http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

I love winter at the allotment, you can get on with things without the weeds and crops getting in the way!
            I've got a lot of soft fruit so pruning and tidying those takes a lot of my time, especially when I've only got friday afternoons.
            If we get a reasonably dry winter, a lot of digging and weeding can get done, plus burning prunings, old rotted pallets and any other waste materials that have been lying around all summer (vegetative, not household).
            Carpet and black plastic to cover up as much as possible, I don't grow winter crops except overwintering garlic and onions, plus a few daffs for cutting.
            The greenhouse beds will get a change of soil/compost for next year's tomatoes.
            If I get the time, I dig out the compost bins and pick an area that needs it and lay it on thick.
            People say to me "there can't be much going on down there in the winter" - couldn't be further from the truth!

Comment

It's my first winter so I'm still digging up the tons of grass on my plot!! But in the bits I've managed I've got some winter brassicas to grow and some onions, garlic and kale. Past that, its just digging and couch grass fighting!!

Comment

Recyclingnick You're probably too late to plant green manure now. Be careful planting in the spring as you may find that you want to plant things in the soil before the green manure is ready to dig in. Figure out what you want to sew and do the maths. Muck is good as long as it's well rotted but don't put it where you're going to plant your root veg. You may get away with just feeding the crops hext year and then planting green manure as the crops finish in the late summer.
                An té nach gcuireann san earrach
                ní bhaineann sé san fhómhar.

Comment

This was our first year with our plot so we had spent a lot of time in March/April when we took it on clearing it out and building what raised beds we could (thankfully there were 2 already completed). We had a great first year planting - learnt lots of lessons (which will help next year) but thoroughly enjoyed it and have 3 sacks full of potatoes as well as onions and shallots we are still using. We also still have sprouts, cavolo nero and parnips in the ground.

In terms of maintenance, given we're new we're not 100% sure everything we need to do. However, on Saturday there the weather was lovely so I took the opportunity to spend 4 hours on the plot re-building the last 2 raised beds that were a bit of a botched job at the start of the year. They're now done and a bit improvement although I need to get a lot more soil!

Would like to build a deeper small raised bed for carrots and parnsips so we can put in new soil without stones to avoid the forked roots we got this year. Not sure how to build it to ensure rotation is possible as we don't have space for any other beds.

Comment

We're reclaiming yard and paddock. In the yard we are using cardboard on the grass and mulch over it. We have been overwintering plants this year for the first time and it was good. We've had rainbow chard, self seeded lettuce, broccoli, millers lettuce (too fiddly for me, but if there was nothing else green it would do).
                    Tried broad beans but they just don't do well for me no matter when I put them in.

In the paddock we used a green manure between the trees and bushes. Worked well. The ground is much softer and holding some water. I'm actually planting in it as a cover for the early tomatoes etc from the frost. The hot weather is killing off the green manure so self mulching, but some is surviving with the really cold nights.
                    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

We are in our 4th year now and every year its a case of maintenance and changing what needs to be changed/repaired. at the moment I am converting our poultry run into a greenhouse (see my latest thread) as we keep poultry we have to go to the plot every day or two anyway so even if its peeing down (like today) or snowing etc we still have to go up there. The joys of keeping chickens.
                      cheers
                      Still trying to get it right.
                      My other hobby - photography http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonjwood/

my youtube channel, allotment videos plus other bits http://www.youtube.com/user/simon180399/videos

Comment

We maintain structures, Buildings and paths in winter......and of course always some weeding!

Comment

I'm still waiting for my plot but have recently stolen half the garden from my little girl so half informed other half some raised beds need making! Other than that lots of digging and preparing the ground ready for spring

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I love winter on the plot - it is weed free, quiet and at the minute, very soft and easy to dig so far I've dug over patches, built a fence, sorted out my compost, weeded, and levelled the ground. I'm going to build a few more raised beds and prepare the paths for grass seed sowing in spring.

I'm also going to try and define the paths with wood edging but this depends on how much more wood I can find in skips

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Agree with bearded bloke, for non-planted bits cover with plastic or weed fabric having dug and manured.
                              Gets the plot nicely ready for spring, black materials absorb more sun light than light coloured stuff. Warms the soil underneath ready for crops. You can even plant through the plasstic or fabric keeping moisture in during the summer, and weeds out.

Mod Edit: Removed the blatant advertising.
                              Last edited by chris; 04-02-2014, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X