Weeeeeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeeeeds

I'm just going to throw this question out there when I got my allotment I strimmed it and covered it then between my wife and I dug it over

Now the weathers picking up there seems to be weeds popping up all over the shop I assume from the weed heads that had seeds on!

I'm picking them out slowly (never ending) but my real question is

As long as I don't let anything go to seed this year will there be a reduction of weeds next year as I'm thinking that there will be less weed seeds to germinate!

Any feedback or replies will be taken in
    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

The more you clear the weeds before they seeds! the better. But you can't stop seeds from other plots blowing onto yours Some weeds spread by root too but if you've dug all of those out, you're winning If you can keep hoeing the tops off the weeds as they germinate you don't need to pull them out. Just leave them to die off in situ.
    Let the hoe be your friend

Comment

old proverb,one years seeds ,seven years weeds.
      seriously though there will be lots of dormant weed seeds in the ground some of which will last for years and will only germinate as they are exposed to light by hoeing etc.As long as you don't let anything seed this year the numbers will drop off rapidly in subsequent years
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

The first year on my first plot was very weedy. When I came back from my summer holidays I couldn't believe it, my crops had all but disappeared. However by keeping on top of weeds, it was much better in subsequent years. Facing similar situation on my new plot. Biggest culprit is chickweed.

Comment

As long as you stop weeds going to seed your problem will diminish each year.
          Roughly there is four years during which dormant seeds will germinate in profusion, but less with each year. Then you only have to contend with wind blow seeds from neighbouring plots, or from miles away. Mulching stops seeds germinating and makes those that do easier to remove.
          ---
          ---
          And weeding is a very therowpewtic pastime, even if you can't spell it, helps you unwind/chill out.
          "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

There are 1000s if not millions of weed seeds in the soil. Exposure to light and moisture will germinate them.
            That's why freshly dug over soil will produce a rash of fresh weeds in a week or two. And that's one of the reasons that I don't dig.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin2001 View Post
              And weeding is a very therowpewtic pastime, even if you can't spell it, helps you unwind/chill out.
              I couldn't disagree more, I detest weeding and would be more than happy if I never saw another one in my lifetime. I find weeding the worst abhorrent chore of growing my own!
              It is just a means to an end result as far as I'm concerned!
              It's actually about time those knobs from Brussels held a convention and banned weeds altogether
              Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/TASallotment

Comment

Originally posted by The Allotment Shed View Post
                It's actually about time those knobs from Brussels held a convention and banned weeds altogether
                If it was me on the throne I'd market all weeds as green manures: they're plants, and they're full of nutrients that can be made available to other (more wanted) plants, your veg.
                If you think of them as rubbish to be gotten rid of, you're always going to hate your work. If you think of them as a resource to be plundered, you might find it more enjoyable

Comment

It's actually about time those knobs from Brussels
                  The correct term is Sprouts.............

Comment

That's assuming the weeds/plants that grow are the type that you can make use of. Bindweed and buttercups are of no use to me and they strangle my wanted weeds
                    Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/TASallotment

Comment

Bindweed and buttercups are of no use to me
                      I never suggested that you should leave them to grow. They're an absolute nuisance and I hate them both, but nothing in nature is useless ~ so make use of them

- buttercups are a good indicator weed: they tell you that the soil is compacted & acidic
                      - bindweed is full of "resins, tanoids, vitamin C and mineral substances".

Bindweed | Benefits of Bindweed | bindweed plant

I just kill them on hot paths and add their humus to my compost heap, in turn feeding more desirable plants

Comment

I prefer to think of weeds as one of life's little obstacles that has to be overcome by whichever method that suits best you and your temperament - I too consider weeding to be therapeutic as it is the type of task that requires neither mental nor great physical effort and enables the mind to wander wherever it pleases.
                        Last edited by Sheneval; 13-06-2013, 04:13 PM.
                        Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          I never suggested that you should leave them to grow. They're an absolute nuisance and I hate them both, but nothing in nature is useless ~ so make use of them

- buttercups are a good indicator weed: they tell you that the soil is compacted & acidic
                          - bindweed is full of "resins, tanoids, vitamin C and mineral substances".

Bindweed | Benefits of Bindweed | bindweed plant

I just kill them on hot paths and add their humus to my compost heap, in turn feeding more desirable plants
                          I have masses of buttercups near my strawberry's, Raspberry's and currants, will the acidic soil harm them or are they ok in acidic soil?

Also what stuff like acidic soil and what prefers alkaline.

Are thistles an indicator of anything, and poppy's as I have loads of these pop up. I also have lots of Coltsfoot that pops up.

Cheers

Comment

My allotment neighbour (and street neighbour) last year told me to pick his strawberries when he was on his hols. I did so and as a thank you spent two hours very carefully weeding his very weedy asparagus bed. When he got back he was very unpleasant and told me he didn't like people touching things belonging to him. He chose to vent his displeasure on the corner of our lane. It was very upsetting and he only gave me an almost as aggressive half hearted "sorry" at the lottie. because another allotment holder had pointed out I had done it as a thank you.
                            It spoils my allotment visits as I don't like being there when he's around. Some folk eh!

Comment

Ungrateful so'n'so!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X