Planting out Celeraic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting out Celeraic

My celariac seedlings are looking good, and I think that it's time to get them planted out at the Hill.

I'm worried about them not getting enough water - I know that they want plenty in order to thrive - and had a bit of a lateral thinking idea.

Could I put MPC mixed up with those water saving crystals (they're normally used in hanging baskets, I think) into the planting hole when I plant them out? Would it help retain moisture round the roots?

I'm just thinking that if we get a half decent summer (haha!) even with watering every time I'm at the Hill (most, but not every day) they might find conditions a bit dry.

What do you think?
    Attached Files

I use compost around mine as it keeps the wet in. They need to be in almost bog like conditions.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I've given up on growing them. They only grow the size of golf balls if you don't water them constantly and as I'm on a metre I generally don't bother

Comment

Could you dig a trench and line it with newspaper to hold the water - like beans?

Comment

Dig a pudding bowl shaped hole about 10" round x 8" deep & put an 1" thick lining of puddling clay all over,back fill & plant
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Thanks all - good to see that you agree that I might be need to do something extra, rather than just bunging them out in the ground.

The water crystal gel stuff I was looking at for about £4 inc p&p says it can be used 'in vegetable plots and flower beds', but I like the idea of newspaper as it is free(!) and biodegrades.

The clay idea would work best, but I don't have any to hand/easy to source.

I'll ponder on this further.
            Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I've never grown them Hazel - if you remember I was scared of eating baby's heads There's one staring at me from the veg basket now
              So mine was just a suggestion about water retention.

Comment

If I grow one even half-a-baby's-head then I will be v pleased, VC. Actually that sounds even more gross.

I've never grown them before - although I did have a crack at growing celery some years back - which not only was too stringy to eat, but the wine I made out of it was revolting, and couldn't even be successfully palmed off in e.g. a risotto, or a chicken casserole. Epic fail. Mind you, the wine did get 15 mins of fame on national TV, which is more than I've ever done, but that's another story.

Comment

You know how to whet my appetite - for a story, not for the wine

Comment

I have the whole program on a DVD - if I could work out how to edit out the relevant part, then post it here, I would do. If you're itching to know, we'll have to enlist someone along those lines to talk me through it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X