No announcement yet.

Moles, and not the beauty spot variety!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moles, and not the beauty spot variety!

When is a mole not a beauty spot?

When it is one of those unwanted fiends intent on destroying your potential prizewinning peas. There are many empty spaces for the little monster to push the mounds of earth up into, but no, he (or she) choses the spots where things are newly planted, trying to undo all the hard work of the well nurtured plants. Bless!!!

So my question to you wise ones, is..... how to get rid. A molectomy seems necessary, but by which means is most effective?

Thanks in advance
    passionate about plants

http://escapetotheallotment.blogspot.co.uk/ Check out my new blog...

There is no greater satisfaction than is gained from a plate of your own home grown !

Scissor traps are most effective but there is an art to setting them , try and find a mole catcher in your srea

Comment

oh dear, scissor traps sound a bit awful!! Will google :0 Thanks
      passionate about plants

There is no greater satisfaction than is gained from a plate of your own home grown !

Comment

I get moles on my allotment but to be honest can't bring myself to kill them. I have been reasonably lucky in that they haven't particularly caused much damage.

Comment

When i was growing up the farmer next door had a simple solution. Wait until you see a mound coming up in the lawn, then walk quietly up to it and blast it with a shotgun!

Sledgehammer to crack a nut springs to mind and definitely not recommended. I'm amazed he never got hurt!

Comment

Now this may be total rubbish but I was informed that Moles hate the smell of onions and I was told that cutting up a strong onion and pushing it in the hole will deter them??

MG
            Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrower View Post
              Now this may be total rubbish but I was informed that Moles hate the smell of onions and I was told that cutting up a strong onion and pushing it in the hole will deter them??

MG
              OK, I have a plan.... I will start with the onions and move on to the shot gun later!! (except I don't have one). My poor lottie is a maze of tiny tunnels, (found out today when planting out the curly Kale).

I will let you know the outcome :0 Thanks X
              passionate about plants

Comment

I try to live with them where I can but where I can't this is the methodology that works.
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ion_64202.html

17 so far this year.
                "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Could try pouring urine into it's burrow, moles don't like their tunnels to smell of other animals.
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                    I try to live with them where I can but where I can't this is the methodology that works.
                    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ion_64202.html

17 so far this year.
                    I followed the instructions and caught the mole that was digging up my lawn. Three weeks' respite..and another one has just surfaced.. ....:-(

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
                      I followed the instructions and caught the mole that was digging up my lawn. Three weeks' respite..and another one has just surfaced.. ....:-(
                      Nature abhors a vacuum. At least you know what to do.
                      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Nipper traps are very effective and pretty easy to set once you get the hang of them. They are a quick method of killing much the same as a mouse trap.

I was lucky enough to have a grandad that was a mole catcher and still have all his traps, if you could find someone local to show you once then you could do it yourself in the future.

On the plus side its obviously a compliment that your plots full of tasty worms!

Comment

there is a bulb you can plant that deters them called allium moly.but it's probably too late for this year.try a google search for suppliers,I know suttons sell them as well as a tool to plant at the correct depth.other suppliers are available,as are other types of bulbs,daffodils are supposed to work too,or try the excellent search facility for other threads on this forum (isn't that right TS)
                          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X