North/south or East /west

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North/south or East /west

I've just got a 1/2 plot allotment which runs East/west which I plan to separate into humped beds. I have a large quantity of landscaping fabric to use for paths and plan to add boards costs and availability permiting.
    my question is which is the best way to align the beds North/South or east/west?

If you run them North/South thet should get equal amounts of light on both sides FF. Sun rises in East & Sets in West. But I guess it depends on the size of the hump (if you'll pardon the phrase) If its fairl shallow I guess it won;t make a lot of difference.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

North to South everytime but the best bet for you is to visit the plot at the start of the day, mid day and evening and it will tell you were the shadows fall and how to arrange your beds e.g. lettuce can cope with some shade but won't like full sun, unlike courgettes and pumpkins and tomatoes who need full sun.
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

You can always gro your lettuce inside the Tunnel or wigwam of your beans, nice & cool loads of Moisture & plenty of nitrogen from the bean roots
        ntg

Comment

This works if the wigwam is large or else you can get a mildew build up and fungus.
          Best wishes
          Andrewo

Comment

Well I made up my first 2 beds running north/south, the ground was quite compacted so i forked it then built up the bed with good topsoil. Feelin quite pleased with myself as I thought it would be harder than it was.
            My site is having a large fire tonight so there will be a batch of wood ash tommorow. The old fellas on the site reckon its best on potatoes and fruit, anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comment

Wood ash is great for fruit and garlic, potatoes I don't know (I know hops are good for potatoes and beans). If compacted, dig in plenty of manure, compost, grit if needed and worms. I use my wood ash on my trees and it really gives them a boost.
              Best wishes
              Andrewo

Comment

It's a good source of Potash FF althought the exact quantities can very of course. It's also good if you can weather it first (bit like soot) but thats not always possible. I wonder if you put it around the tubers if it wil stop slugs?
                ntg

Comment

Grass supposedly does or shredded paper.
                  Best wishes
                  Andrewo

Comment

Thanks for the advice, fruit and veg growers seem to be the most helpful people I've ever met.
                    Theres a local micro brewery near me might see if they have any hop waste after all they probably throw it very few business seem to get the idea of recycling.
                    My girlfriend has a horse so i plan to make good use of all the free manure. Transport could be a problem though maybe if i have the windows down and the boot open I'll be able to stand the stench

Comment

Yes, spent hops are the best and they do end up throwing them, it is great compost material - I use my spent hops on the soil, great conditioner.
                      Best wishes
                      Andrewo

Comment

A lot of places have cottoned on to this now Adrew & they don't give it away anymore! one thing to think about, if they are ex brewery the smell mght attract Slugs, they may think you have a huge slug trap rather than the allotment

As for Horse muck, If you bag it up (get some of the strong Garden refuse bags) that should keep the smell in whilst you transport it, then you can stack it for a year like a muck heap. SHould be good stuff .
                        ntg

Comment

Alternatively, you could add it to the compost bin, It willhelp break down the other stuff in there & will be ready quicker.

If your Girlfriend uses Sawdust or Shavings, don't put this on the garden untill it has been stacked and has broken down. Being wood, it needs a lot of Nitrogen to break the cellulose down & it will take this from the soil giving you Nitrogen deficiency. This is best treated seperately. If you make a bin for this & then water it with Sulphate of Ammonia (1oz to the gallon I think it is) then cover this will start the process off. CHeck it from time to time, but be careful about putting your hand in the heap it get Hot & can burn you ! I know I've done it with shredded Branch prunings!

Once it has broken down, you can mix it in with the other compost & spread it on the ground.
                          ntg

Comment

Loads of great info gents thanks again. Just a couple more queries (feel free to ignore me if i begin to sound like an overly curious kid).
                            Andrew do you use the hops as a mulch or rot them down like leafmold?
                            Nick any thoughts on hotbeds would like to try to grow melons

Comment

Hot beds are great, The victorians were past Masters at using Hotbeds.

I don't know if you'd need one to grow melons mind. They like it Hot & humid a poly tunnel would be ideal. You only really need the hot bed to bring on plants early (forcing) or to use the heat to act as a propogator. I guess what you could do is make a bed up, & once the temerature has settled down , put a cold frame on it, so your seed & grow in situ. There might be too much moisture for a melon though they like a free draining soil & will rot off if they get water logged. Courgettes would enjoy it as they are Gross feeders and you should end up with loads.
                              ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X