Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment number 2

We must be mad!!

Old chap next to us has decided to call it a day, he has a bad back and sciatica meaning that he comes up to the lottie once a week and digs over about a square metre of land then goes home as his back can't stand any more.

Shame as me and Mrs Vince get on well with him, and if we had more time on our hands ourselves would offer to help him out a bit. He has decided to pack it in on the proviso that we were allowed to take it on in his stead, so we felt almost obliged - our current plot is a half plot and once upon a time was joined to his to make a whole plot, so I suppose it's being reunified!

Time will tell if we've taken on too much, so we're trying to keep it low maintenance.

At the front we have planted 4 rows of asparagus, 36 plants in all.

At the back we've built a fruit cage into which we've transplanted all the fruit we have at home (we're moving house in 3 weeks and the new gaden is very well kept, so no room for fruit bushes really.) 2 rasps, 1 tay, 1 goji, 3 goose, 12 strawbs, 2 blackcurrant and 1 blueberry in specially lined pit.

There is a small flower area which is quite nice so we'll keep that.

Suggestions as to what to grow in the rest would be nice (about a third of the plot). Unusual things please...we grow most usual veg on our original plot, but are struggling to think of things to fill the new one.
    Are y'oroight booy?

Vince how about pumpkins or courgettes both take up a lot of space so should soon fill in that area.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Yacon, Oca and Cinnamon Vines - I am growing on to be selling to people soon. Those three are all due to go in the ground over the next month or so...

Or what about sowing with green manure now and as you decide you can hoe down and plant up.

I had a fantastic year 2 summers ago with putting 4 vine tomatoes in the ground, mulching and leaving all summer. They spread [they are vines in their natural home] and I was getting a large trug off them every week.
      Last edited by zazen999; 29-04-2013, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Quinoa, Amaranth, tree spinach. Globe artichokes............

Comment

A whole 1/3 of a lottie filled with Long Red Florence onions.

Comment

Don't know if a small tunnel is out of the question Vince, but I'm having a go at Okra, Sweet Potatoes & Melons.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks guys:

Zaz - cinnamon vines, I'm curious.....stuff you can get real cinnamon bark from? If so, could be interested when available please....

VC - much to my annoyance, Mrs Vince is not into grainy things - couscous is one of my fave accompaniments but I only get it at work or when she's out. Globe artichokes however, hmmm. Love em, but don't know much about growing them. How many plants would we need and how prolific are they?

Mal, you're a bad man!! Already got a 10' x 10' poly, and now you're making me think about another one!! Grew 2 melon vines last year (Emir) and the 6 fruit we got were like nectar, so could happily grow more and we love okra. Dear oh dear, I'm back on the poly websites.......

Bren, grow courgettes every year, but never pumpkins. You've made me think of other squash though as we eat a lot of those in autumn/early winter in nice "meaty" non-meat dishes.

Food for thought.......
              Last edited by Vince G; 29-04-2013, 10:05 PM.
              Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Vince, if you are into out of the ordinary stuff have you considered Calaloo, or maybe even grapes? You could grow your own wine Chateaux Le Feet de Vincent...
                Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

OITC, trust me you wouldn't like to get anywhere near Le Feet de Vincent, just ask Mrs Vincent!!

Never got on with grapes as we have a vine in our garden which produces lots of pleasing foliage, but no fruit of any size.

Calaloo's a good one, but not James Wong's seeds - there's another thread on here which mostly slags them off, and my experience of JW seeds so far is also not great.
                  Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Has anyone grown seakale? Quite intrigued by that.
                    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I have a couple of plants(bought last year) - not eaten any of it yet - mainly because there's nothing to eat
                      Why don't you have an oriental veggies patch? Or cranberries and blueberries - or perennial veggies...........

Comment

What are my choices on the oriental front VC? I am sure I read somewhere that they are particularly prone to pests, so much so that people plant things like chinese cabbages as slug fodder to keep them off other stuff.

Got 3 globe artichokes plugs on order now. Most places seem to want you to buy at least half a dozen but Victoriana let you buy individually if you want.

Victoriana Nursery Gardens - For Quality Seeds & Plants

Good website this. They sell Seakale too
                        Last edited by Vince G; 30-04-2013, 10:23 PM.
                        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Have a look at Real Seeds Vince - they have lots of different oriental veg - as well as other unusual seeds. Have a dabble!
                          Another unusual plant, similar to Globe Artichokes is Cardoon - but you blanch the leaves (like seakale). Its much larger than seakale though. I've grown it from seed but never reached the blanching stage.
                          I've just planted Chinese Artichokes too - they're weird!! And Skirret

Comment

OK will do.

What do Chinese Artichokes taste like? Anything like Jerusalems (which we grew this year.)

Just had to look Skirret up. Thought I'd heard of everything veg-wise, but you've done me there VC - 15-love to you!
                            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I've never eaten a Chinese Artichoke but I think they're more waterchestnutty and not so windy!!
                              I bought them and the Skirret from Pennard. I also have seeds for Sea Purslane, Samphire, Rampion, Sculpit, Japanese Burdock..........and No, I have no idea what they taste like!!
                              How about growing hops - for your beer?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X