Frost and tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost and tomatoes

It's been a bit nippy in the evenings in my neck of the woods the last couple of nights. Went to the lottie this morning, opened up the poly and the toms I planted in there last weekend look to have got a bit of frostbite...at least that's what I assume it is. Several leaves have gone slightly brown in places and a few others have curled up. Do frosted toms tend to recover OK?

I have erected a sort of curtain using fleece and canes around the toms - reckon that will help keep any future attacks at bay?

One of the sweetcorn has a mushy leaf too, so I reckon he copped a bit of frost too.
    Last edited by Vince G; 28-04-2013, 10:20 PM.
    Are y'oroight booy?

I think tomatoes like to be 10'C or above... so doesn't even have to be a frost to put them off growing.

Comment

Yep, sounds like frost to me. Recovery will depend on whether the stems were affected or not. I had two recover from being frosted when my heater failed, the other 13 bought it. And that was with a double layer of fleece and a plastic sheet over them...

They will generally survive above 5c, but like alldigging said, 10c for growth.

Comment

Hmm OK. I've started again from seed. Here's hoping they get a move on. Went to the lottie again today to check on them and all bar 2 Fantasio are crispy, plus one Apero.

Well you live and learn. Next year I'll definitely sow later and plant out later.
        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I've had them survive in the greenhouse quite happily at this time of year before now. It's been a very odd season! I would say that staggered sowings is probably the way to go, and then you cover every eventuality. And maybe keep the plants in 5" pots for a bit longer, then they can be out in the tunnel, but still kept close enough together to fleece them all against frost?

If you were a bit closer I'd donate some of my spares, but maybe you could buy a couple of plants from a GC just to get some early crops?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X