Allotment Tap

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment Tap

This is a crazily simple question! Our site has no tops on the taps - pressumably to stop the friendly local youf from turning them on and flooding the place. How do I turn them on? Is there a special allotment tap top?

Today there was a new metal collar (shown below) attached. It unsrewed easily ;-)

The top of the tap has a square head to it. I thought maybe it was a reasonably standard thing that I'd be able to get a tap for and just drop it on. But now there is this new collar?

So is there something that the secret world of allotmenters know that I haven't yet worked out?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by polc1410; 28-04-2013, 11:28 AM.

Ask your site rep where the tap top is kept.

Comment

Maybe its turned off in winter and will be replaced when its warmer?

Comment

Our council does that - very annoying when you need water.
        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Adjustable wrench.
          I would ask first why its been removed
          The collar stop it being turned on with a wrench
          Looks like the grub screw is missing at the bottom.
          Last edited by green thing; 28-04-2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

You can get a (usualy red) circular stop tap handle that has a square hole in the middle.

I would have thought the easiest solution to vandalism though would be to have the taps enclosed in locked boxes?
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Tap look like the ones on our site we have to pay a deposit for a tap key which fits onto the top of the tap so you can turn it on, and the water has only just been turned on

Comment

Surprised no one told you when you viewed your plot why the tap head was not on chances are it's removed to stop it being misused or just came off asked and ye shall discover.
                Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Well having waited 6 weeks from being shown round and not seeing the boss man around again to ask I posted on here. Went back over to the plot this afternoon to bump into the boss!

Don't think the water gets turned off over winter. It certainly works at the moment.

Looks like it used to be behind a locked door. But putting anything behind a lock is like putting an advert on it saying please force the lock open to see what goodies await inside.

There is no official key. We only pay £7 rent for a half plot so don't expect much in terms of resource.

It was removed to stop kids playing. The collar is there to stop people using molegrips, pliers etc as it chews the top of the tap.

Grub screw is missing... ...someone brought a screw driver plus molegrips??

The red stop cock handle would probably work but would need the collar removed each time and I suspect someone will be along with a grub screw...

So apparently the answer is a door handle! It'll fit down the collar.

Comment

Spigot ?

One of my favourite words, that
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X