New plot!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New plot!

We've just been given a plot in Mitcham, South London. It's nw/sw aspect, and has a massive concrete wall along the northernmost edge
    It has a tree of unknown provenance growing through a metal fence in the middle.
    There is a fox's den at the far end, within all the fly-tipping (chairs, tv sets etc). And 6 foot high rambling rose and bramble. Not to mention the couch grass.

Nothing like a challenge eh :-)

Have made some snaps of progress. Any advice for this novice with limited experience gratefully received :-)

Attached Files

First off Congrats on the plot invariably they are always hard work to start off with so don't fret, just handle it in manageable chunks so you can see the progress. If you can clear some room and get something, anything planted as soon as possible you can see it growing and that really drives you to get things done.

I'd say on the concrete wall side, how much sun does it get? If you get a decent amount I'd say put in something like raspberry canes that don't need a lot of attention so the reduced amount of water it gets due to the wall won't affect it too badly. If you have a problem with trespassing and fly tippings then you could do a thorny plant fence of say blackberry and then you can trail the runners into a barrier that most people won't bother trying to get past hehe.
    My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

You've made a great start, nice work.

With the wall on the north side it should trap some sun and act as a storage heater, not a bad asset. But I like the idea of putting spikey stuff in front of it to deter the opportunist trespassers.

If I had to guess I'd say your tree was a young Ash. In which case you'll want to be rid before it gets too big! But it'll be in leaf soon so you'll be able to tell.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Great start and good to see your allowed to burn stuff saves a lot of hassle. Small chunks lots of return keep up the good work.

MG
        Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Good luck with the plot and welcome to the site.

Ground cover sheets and lasagne beds will be your friend.

Plant loads of spuds and beans to begin with, along with whatever veg you will eat most.
          Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

Welcome to the vine and good luck with your plot - have fun
            Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Watch your watering near the wall - as walls/hedges/fences can cast "rain shadows" - where the rain won't reach, so you may well have to plant thing that are able to cope with less watering, or water yourself if we get any hot dry weather.

Comment

just got my first plot hired a petrol strimmer clear all of brambles dug over a small section looks good hard but rewarding work

Comment

Thanks all :-)

Excellent advice re: the wall. I was thinking of lining it with sunflowers with raspberry canes.

And a plot-neighbour thinks I should lop off the branches of the tree and grow beans up it :-)
                  I've snagged a polytunnel on ebay so that'll go up this weekend, and I've planted my seeds in my garden greenhouse - so they'll be a good to go in a few weeks.

No petrol strimmer for us, it's all by hand so far.

Awesome tips in these forums :-)

Comment

Congrats on the plot, and wwelcome to the vine.

The best tip I can give is to break up the work into manageable chunks so you don't overface yourself, and get something growing as soon as you can.

I decided upon raised beds, and as soon as the first one was ready I planted it up with loads of different stuff, and watching it all grow was a great incentive to get on with the rest of the plot.

Above all, keep enjoying yourself.

Andy
                    Last edited by Samurailord; 19-04-2013, 11:02 AM.
                    http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

I think Andy's comment about planting something as soon as possible is really important - even if it's just a few radish seeds - get something in and growing ASAP.

Comment

You've got started already. Since there's a lot of it, you might like to cover what you're not working on atm. With cardboard, and then it will be improving under the cardboard while you're working on another part.
                        Don't forget to have a planning day where you just wander around working out what you think would go where, and marking it down.
                        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

3 weeks later and we're feeling VERY proud of ourselves. Got carrot and spinach under the tunnel, onions and garlic in the cage. peas awaiting a frame (next week!). Spuds are chitting on the windowsill, and leeks, herbs, lettuce and courgette are all in the plastic frame in the garden at home.

We love our 'lottie :-) But isn't it hard work!
                          I hand-sieved (am a bit OCD so that helps ;-) that seed bed through a 1/2 inch mesh to 1 spit deep! Got 3 bags of pebbles, glass, random plastic and horror-bramble-root out of it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well done FM - that looks great Once you get on top of it, it'll seem less like hard work and more like pleasure - especially when you're picking your own veggies

Comment

That looks fantastic. By the way welcome to the Vine. Could you add your location to your profile please? Then it will show up on your posts and save us having to keep asking where you are.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X