In the shade

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the shade

Since I have got my new allotment I have two raised beds in my back garden that I have struggled to grow veg in due to it being in shade for most of the day, so I would like to turn the garden into just that a garden for my wife and grandkids, but keeping the raised beds which are brick built. They are around 4ft wide and 11ft long.

What flowers / plants (MANAGEABLE SHRUBS ) none invasive thrive in shaded and sometimes exposed conditions I want to attract bees to the garden which also has fruit bushes around a shaded perimeter fence.

I have another portion of the garden I am taking back to lawn and a raised area at the end of a small garden that already has a pear and a plumb tree ( Ornamental patio style )

I want a splash of color all year round but something that is low maintenance.

Any ideas?????

I just realized I posted in the wrong section but don't know how to move it to another forum section without it becoming a duel post.
    MG
    Last edited by mrgrower; 15-04-2013, 05:06 PM.
    Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Found a useful link here for you Mr Grower http://www.havennurseries.co.uk/PDF/...or%20shade.pdf

Comment

I also have a shady garden and find Hostas do very well as do ferns and also Heuchera's do well in partial shade and you can get them in some great colours, and are low maintenance.

Comment

Thanks for the information

MG
        Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

In my shady north facing piece I have hardy fuchsias, hellebores, pulmonaria, euonymus (although that has grown its head up to a bit of late afternoon summer sunshine), primulas, white comfrey, american land cress (for eating), bluebells, lily of the valley, a few foxgloves, and wild arum. I tried daffs, but without the sun to ripen the bulbs they soon stop flowering.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Most of my garden is shady because of the trees - so think of woodland plants and flowers. primroses, bluebells, early bulbs like snowdrops, foxgloves........

Comment

In my front which North facing I have choiysa- Sundance - the yellow one. Lovely in a gloomy spot and Fatsia japonica- big glossy evergreen leaves. Astilbes, hydrangas, dicentra (bleeding heart, especially the white one) ferns, also work well in shade. Limiting colours e.g. gold, white, green can look classy. I love having a new bed to plant. Now do I need all that lawn???
              Last edited by WendyC; 15-04-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X