What fruit bush is this?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
    You should get some fruit this summer, though not as much as if you hadn't pruned them.

Edit note: Look out for new green stems growing from the base - these will be the fruiting canes for next year.
    Great. Yes there are some green stems. Took me by surprise when I was weeding around the base but careful not to uproot them. Thanks.

Comment

Raspberries: I only grow autumn fruiters, because summer ones get full of maggots (raspberry beetle).

You don't know what you've got (yet), so let them fruit. If they have their berries in June/July mostly, then they're earlies (summer).
      If they start in late July but produce most fruit in August/Sept, then they're autumn fruiters.

Once you know what you've got, you can prune accordingly. Grow your own raspberries / RHS Gardening
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for all this info. I have loads of fruit canes all planted out very carefully but extremely overgrown. I think there are raspberries, gooseberries, blackberries (thornless) and all the usual berries. I wont really know until they have fruited or the leaves are fully formed but I intend to let them fruit, see when and how they do it and then I can plan my pruning for next season. So much to do, so much learning to do, so much fun to have and so many fruits to eat.
        You've gotta love nature!
        Lynne x

Comment

Originally posted by wizzbang View Post
          Thanks for all this info. I have loads of fruit canes all planted out very carefully but extremely overgrown. I think there are raspberries, gooseberries, blackberries (thornless) and all the usual berries. I wont really know until they have fruited or the leaves are fully formed but I intend to let them fruit, see when and how they do it and then I can plan my pruning for next season. So much to do, so much learning to do, so much fun to have and so many fruits to eat.
          Exactly the same for me. Going to be interesting seeing what develops. I have stripped back all weeds, docks and brambles from mine - just need to leave them some nice mulch and wait!

Comment

I've read before about double cropping autumn raspberries, so when you find out what you've got have a go at following this method.

My Tiny Plot » Blog Archive » Double Cropping Raspberries
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X