ideas for the raised bed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas for the raised bed

As the thread states I'm after some ideas for the raised bed. It's almost full of compost. One idea I have is onions. I overwintered some in my garden red and white but the white have struggled so that's my reasoning for onions the raised bed is around 8ft by 3ft it's south facing and near a fence but not shaded. Soooooo any other ideas????
    Last edited by mrgrower; 31-03-2013, 08:47 AM.
    Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

The raised bed?

Only got the one? If so, I would fill it with expensive crops, not onions. Onions are cheap to buy in the shops. Salad is expensive, in comparison
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yep as TS says,expensive stuff also as you only have the one raised bed you might like to look at "square foot gardening" as a way to maximize productivity
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I have got some little gem seeds in the coldframe / greenhouse can you transplant littlegem or do they need sowing direct?? was also thinking about using it as a permanent bed for Asparagus but believe it or not I have never eaten it so don't know if I like it To be honest i've never been a salad type guy nor has my wife so what other salad type things can I do in it so maximising that space whilst experimenting this year?

Comment

For goodness sake don't grow things you don't like.

What do you like to eat (vegetables and / or fruit)?

Comment

Lettuce seedlings can be transplanted,firm in well when sited,to test if firmed enough nip a leaf between thumb & index finger then pull if the leaf tears it is fine if not firm more & retest (use the same test for any of the cabbage family )

Try some beetroot even if you don't like them in salad you can roast them whole,pickle them,make soup or even make a cake,it's a very versatile veg
            Parsnips,tend to be expensive in the shops.
            White cabbage,for salad,cooking or make your own coleslaw.
            Red cabbage,for salad,cooking or pickling
            Spring onions.
            Cut & come again leaves

What do you & your wife like to eat that you can grow ? make a list then go to the shops/market & check the prices
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
              For goodness sake don't grow things you don't like.

What do you like to eat (vegetables and / or fruit)?
              I didn't say we didn't like them just that we are not that big into them thats why I am looking to experiment.

Bearded Bloke Thanks I can't stand Beets they make me physically sick but I do tend to grow a few for the wife who loves them what will go in the same area as Little Gem without taking over a small raised bed??

Comment

How many Little Gem are you growing?

And you still haven't told us what sort of veg you like to eat.

Comment

Got a packet sown in the coldframe not sure how many seeds in a pack.

We like spring onion cabage carrots spuds leeks cauli cucumber tomatoes Celery Onions. the wife likes beets. I like Parsnip Turnip Sweed I am ok with a bit of letuce garden peas runner and broad beans wife only likes processed peas or mushy peas. Thats our veg experience sao need other ideas especially for the raised bed.

Comment

If I had a raised bed full of decent compost - I'd grow carrots, lots of nice young carrots with straight roots. While they were growing I'd sow some spring onions and lettuce/mixed salad leaves between the carrots. At the back I'd have a trellis for peas and beans.
                    I wouldn't give over the space to veg that take a long time to mature like parsnips and swede - or to spuds that need earthing up.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrower View Post
                      Got a packet sown in the coldframe not sure how many seeds in a pack
                      Rather a lot, I would think. Were they the free ones from GYO?

The trouble with sowing them all at the same time is that they will all be ready to eat at the same time. Better to sow a few every couple of weeks.

Spring onions can be grown easily in your raised bed, as can carrots.

It's a bit too small for potatoes, do you have any open ground where you could grow them?

Cucumber and tomatoes generally do much better grown in a greenhouse.

You could grow a few cabbages in the bed - again do not sow the whole packet. You could sow a few in a pot and transplant when big enough, or buy in plug plants.

You could put a wigwam of canes at one end of your bed and grow runner beans up it. Bit early to be sowing the seed though, they MUST be kept frost free.

Comment

You can grow pretty much whatever you want in raised bed. Some veg benefit more from raised beds however, I find that my carrots and parsnips benefit from the better soil I have in my beds. Get all the suggestions you can, ultimately though you should grow what you want.

Comment

My plot gives you an idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5kN0Pte9Jw

Comment

^ that looks like an allotment, not a raised bed ????
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 04-04-2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrower View Post
                              We like spring onion cabage carrots spuds leeks cauli cucumber tomatoes Celery Onions. ... Parsnip Turnip Sweed ... letuce garden peas runner and broad beans

but not commas *rolley eyes*

You have an allotment. Why are you asking us what to grow in a raised bed?

I guess, because you want something you can pick at home, rather than going up the lotty? If so, you need to grow things you can just nip out the back and pick at the last minute. To most people, that would mean herbs and salad.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X