Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Butt Stand

Hi

For my birthday yesterday my in laws got me a water butt but they were unable to get the stand as the shop had ran out.

I would be grateful for suggestions on what to stand my butt on, as I would perfer to recycle something than buy new.

Thank you
    Bye

PT

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

http://heifer73.blogspot.com/

Old bricks topped with a paving slab works well and is a solid base
    "Always willing to learn"

Comment

I just have black plastic dustbinsfor my water collection butts, so have placed them on a firm base of bricks. As the bins have no tap I use an old saucepan to dip the water out of the bins.
      Jax

Comment

Hi Jaxom

This may be a silly question but however did you connect your bins to the drain pipe.
        Bye

PT

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

http://heifer73.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use bricks & paving slab as well as we've got the national collection of brickends in our garden mostly dating from 1898 when the house & wash house was built - this was then subsequently knocked down in the interest of modernisation - would have made a great shed!!!
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by pukka.tukka
            Hi Jaxom

This may be a silly question but however did you connect your bins to the drain pipe.
            The bins collect water off the greenhouse and the down pipes end two foot above the open bins. If I needed to connect bins up to the house roof then I would buy a down pipe converter from B&Q.
            Here in Wales we have so much rain that my greenhouse seems to supply all the water I need at this moment in time. Perhaps in the summer it may change but I could link at least ten bins to the house downpipe and then I would still have to worry about a return to the drainpipe. As I said earlier we get a lot of rain here in Green but damp Wales.
            Jax

Comment

Everone at my allotment uses the old metal water tanks that people take out of their lofts. They are just big enough to stand the butt on. Then any excess water is collected in the bottom and you can dip your watering can in it. Assuming it has a tap of course, but even if you don't they are still really styrdy and FREE.
              Last edited by Emma; 23-03-2006, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I just use old bricks, stacked up in a square with the butt on top, very stable and looks good too - last year I planted plugs of earth between the bricks and put nasturtiums in them, they flourished.
                Best wishes
                Andrewo
                Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X