Allotment TV Programme

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment TV Programme

I would really appreciate a tv programme entirely devoted to how to start and grow an allotment . I really enjoy gardens world but would like something more. There must be enough people who would be interested or am I wrong?

I have an allotment but always need tips and advice
    Slowly takes it!

I had some hopes for the section on GW where they were Joe Swift was setting up a new plot a few years ago. I should have been more cynical as it was terrible, for a start I can't warm to the guy as he's obsessed with design over actual gardening which kind of misses the point of an allotment to me but also he spent a fortune on things rather than taking the opportunity to show how you can do things on a shoe string and concentrated on niche plants rather than the staples which more people really need to put on the table. I heard that he gave it up after a year which pretty much sums up how it came over on the show ie that he was playing at it rather than most of us on here who are actually working blommin' hard. Shame really as it could have been so much better.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Yes, I remember the programme. What you say is exactly right, all the little things that make an allotment work. I have had a plot for about 5 years and still need/and ask for advice.
      Slowly takes it!

Comment

I think that the edible garden with Alys Fowler has been the best thing in recent years but I think it was only 6 episodes long or something like that!

I would love to see a real programme about vegetable growing where the person involved gave there blood sweat and tears like people in the real world, maybe even with a segment following a novice gardener taking on a new plot and the progress or set backs that might occur!

Anyway we can but wish....
        In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

I think it would be an excellent idea. Perhaps you could suggest it to the BBC as they seem a little short on ideas for gardening programmes at present.

Comment

Great idea but they probably get request like that all the time, perhaps I should send a copy of our ideas to to the bbc. I will give it a couple of days to see if anyone else wants a say, thank you for your comments
            Slowly takes it!

Comment

Sounds like a plan! Loads of people out there have had no-one to show them how to begin to garden (myself included) So a show with a knowledgeable Grandad type (or Grandma) would be great. They could show you how to do stuff, why they are doing it and what happens if you don't. Tips on how to re-use stuff (eg putting bottle on top of canes- things like that). Showing you pointers on why some stuff grows well, where it grows and what it likes growing next to. The list is endless, and the viewers watching it would be too! I don't want it to be dumbed down to "this is a plant, you put it in the soil" but back to basics and all the way up to what is happening nowadays would cover everybody I think. Then people who do know loads about gardening won't feel too patronised!
              You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Great idea.......

Take one plot.......take one new potholder......take the job on with sage advice from experts.....you need a celebrity these days....
                Intersperse with round the uk advice from......well us lot!

Compare traditional with new ideas.....organic v non.........young and old......in fact everything.....

You should end up with

The Perfect Allotment

Come on auntie........

Loving my allotment!

Comment

The big problem though is that it isn't dynamic enough for tv. Growing onions may be exciting to me but to the punter in the armchair who normally watches Eastenders or Emmerdale, there are no steamy affairs or murders, not even any subplots. Even growing early spuds takes a minimum of 10 weeks and once they are in the ground there is nothing to do bar a wee bit of earthing up.

I think I'm having a low moment because I know I wouldn't miss a moment of such a programme on the telly.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                    The big problem though is that it isn't dynamic enough for tv. Growing onions may be exciting to me but to the punter in the armchair who normally watches Eastenders or Emmerdale, there are no steamy affairs or murders, not even any subplots. Even growing early spuds takes a minimum of 10 weeks and once they are in the ground there is nothing to do bar a wee bit of earthing up.

I think I'm having a low moment because I know I wouldn't miss a moment of such a programme on the telly.
                    actually there's plenty of action if you wan't them to pitch it that way eg
                    1.buried alive ....planting seed potatos
                    2. slug wars.......plenty of violence and death against overwhelming odds
                    3.alien invasion...himalayan balsam & japanese knotweed
                    4.the stench......comfrey tea making
                    I'm sure you can come up with more
                    and as for sub plots with the amount of rain this year a sub would come in handy on my plot especially with a rotavator attachment
                    Last edited by snakeshack; 03-03-2013, 09:46 PM.
                    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

There's this online one: The Horticultural Channel | Gardening news and advice for the amateur gardener

Sean's allotment garden...
                      Last edited by ~kirsty~; 03-03-2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

5. Trench warfare.........setting up bean sticks
                        6. Hot and steamy..........a good compost heap
                        7. Behind closed doors ............pollinating your peaches

Comment

I'd love an allotment programme, with practical tips, demonstrations and no celebrities, allotment politics or soap-style commentaries.
                          A weekly show might limit it to one season. Maybe 4 long episodes instead, each covering a quarter of the year (a bit like the Carol Klein's cottage garden series). That way, it could also cover the winter crops, digging methods etc.

Comment

Love that ^^ Snakeshack ever thought of becoming an "official" nutter ?
                            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Something akin to Out of Town (back in my yoof) but gardening orientated might work
                              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X