Deployment plot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deployment plot?

I've been asked to 'price up a deployment plot' - but I'm really stumped on where to start, mainly because I can't see it working out.

For the new grapes who don't know me - we (an officer and me) started an allotment plot here on camp (RAF base). We got to the up and running and growing stage last March. And jolly fine it's been too

The idea behind the deployment plot (it isn't my idea) is that wives of hubbies who are in theater/deployed elsewhere for their six-monther would go up to the plot and 'grow stuff'.

My initial concern with this is that if they (wives-at-home) didn't want a plot in the first instance, why would they want a portion of a plot for a short space of time?

The plots are 15m x 5m

Gawd - where to start??

Snowdrop suggested that I just get a plot portioned out with raised beds. Yes, I get that - but I'm still left with wondering how to make it work.
    aka
    Suzie

You need something fast growing like salad crops or even flowers if it doesn't have to be edible crops.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Add in a social element.
      They probably don't want an allotment. They want a social space where they go and sit outside when its nice. BBQ area, seating and enough salad beds to keep them in lettuce for the burgers?

Comment

Perhaps the idea to run it as a sort of communal garden/social club for the stay-at-homes? I can see that working in that if you all chip in, then people can come for the few months, contribute, harvest, then leave again.

But if you were just saying 'come and grow stuff for six months, here's a raised bed to take over which some other girlie no longer needs' - I can't see that working because the girl who has the raised bed/plot for the six months over winter is going to get a rubbish deal in that she does all the prep and sowing, and the next girl who takes over gets to do all the harvesting!

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

And yes, anyone who wants a plot all the time, will have a plot all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
          Add in a social element.
          They probably don't want an allotment. They want a social space where they go and sit outside when its nice. BBQ area, seating and enough salad beds to keep them in lettuce for the burgers?
          Yes - and said more succinctly than wot I did!

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
            Add in a social element.
            Yes, this is the sort of thing they will want me to aim for.

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
            Perhaps the idea to run it as a sort of communal garden/social club for the stay-at-homes? I can see that working in that if you all chip in, then people can come for the few months, contribute, harvest, then leave again.
            Indeed so.

In my head I was 'setting it up and leaving them to it' - but clearly that wouldn't work. It will need to be managed, by someone, fingers will point at me. I can do that (she says!) but I can see it being quite time-consuming.

I guess we have to start it and see
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Hi Piskie, nice to see you again . My first thought is that if there is no demand, there is no point so establishing demand should be the first objective. After that, if there is demand, you know what to try to price for and if there is no demand that be that.

That make sense? Multi-tasking(cooking tea) so rushed my response

Comment

I may be off the mark Pisk but could it be linked with the catering facilities?
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm puzzled about the "price up" bit. Who would be paying?

Comment

The money will come out of 'station funds'
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

I like the idea of a community garden. Binley runs one of these at her lottie.
                      Could you sow some seeds now in a nursery area, so that people who do want to take part can put plantlets as well as seeds into the beds. I always get more of a sense of satisfaction when I 'plant out' into my raised beds than sowing seeds into them.
                      Best of luck with it x

Comment

Ah right! I wondered how many wives would pay up for 6 months use of a plot.
                        I'd go communal garden with lots of herbs for picking by anyone, with a seat in the middle

Comment

As said is there a demand? I'd start with a couple off beds offer them out and see the uptake.
                          Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrower View Post
                            As said is there a demand? I'd start with a couple off beds offer them out and see the uptake.
                            Yes....they'd probably all enjoy somewhere green to sit and chat and take tea, and where they can pick herbs or saladings, but how many want to garden? You don't want to end up as the group gardener, piskie, doing all the work while everyone else chills in deckchairs and enjoys the fruits (and veg) of your labours.
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

15m x 5m is quite big, at least if it's only for six months. How many plots are there? Would each one have to be individually funded? If I've read it right at least some of that space wouldsurely be better used for a community garden, swings for the kids etc, with maybe a few bits for keen growers. Or is there a park/playground area already?
                              I was feeling part of the scenery
                              I walked right out of the machinery
                              My heart going boom boom boom
                              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                              I've come to take you home."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X