Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dug Over plot - Now What? A Confused novice!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dug Over plot - Now What? A Confused novice!

Hi,

I was fortunate to get the keys to my plot last November. Over the course of this time I've been clearing the plot which I have done successfully. I have roughly dug over the majority of the plot but am a little confused as to what to do next?

The beds are heavy clay, so I want to get some kind of organic matter into the soil. My initial plan was to have the plots dug by the end of November, and cover them with muck over the winter - which is what I've read on the forum and internet, but inevitably life, the weather have meant the plots were finally finished in December and no trucks could physically get to the plot due to waterlogging which looks likely until March now.

My question is, what do I need to do in order to bring my beds up to scratch for the coming growing season? Will it be too late to add anything into the soil by March? At present the beds are so water logged and heavy clay, will I need to dig them over again to break up the large clay clods left by the rough digging?

Do you have any advice for me in order to prepare the beds for the new season.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Timmy007 View Post
    what do I need to do in order to bring my beds up to scratch for the coming growing season?
    Nothing.

Soil grows stuff, that's what it's for. If you had weeds growing, that shows you that the soil is good.

Over time, nutrients can be depleted, if you're not putting back what you take out, ie if you never add garden compost back to the soil.

Some gardeners are OBSESSED with horse muck: I've never used it, mind you I've only been growing veg for 16 years
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

will I need to dig them over again to break up the large clay clods left by the rough digging?
      Nope.

You can grow and sow direct into the soil you have. It doesn't have to be perfectly flat and smooth like a bowling lawn.

Over time, you want to be adding goodness to the clay, to improve its drainage. (I have the opposite problem: sandy soil, but I still improve it with humus all the time).

Comment

Clay holds nutrients well but it also holds weed roots well so my one piece of advice would be to cover it with cardboard and when you put your plants in, make a hole in the cardboard, plant, water in, and pull the cardboard back tight around the plant to keep the water in. As it's your first season you can give the plants plenty of space to grow and give yourself a break to keep on top of the weeds that do grow around the about.

A bulb planter is good for making holes through cardboard and for your plants to go into.

Then, take one area and prep for carrots and parsnips - dig some sand or compost in and sow direct.
        Last edited by zazen999; 17-02-2013, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for replying, it sounds like what I've done so far is correct then! That's good to know, and reassuring.

This year is always going to be an experiment to see what grows well. I was planning on adding some compost as and when I can get my hands on some, I will probably manure in the autumn as it's very cheap around these parts.

Out of interest Two Sheds, why do you not manure?

I haven't been up to the plot for a week or so, but previously the first 2 beds are coming along nicely, the clods of earth have started to settle, but the last 2 plots which were dug are still quite open with large clods of earth and large gaps, but I'm hoping it will get there by the time I need to sow / plant.

I will be starting a compost pile this season, I disposed of all the weeds previously as they had been treated with a weedkiller, so I thought it was better to be safe than sorry and dispose of all the weeds myself. So hopefully next year will have my own compost going back into the soil.

I do like the sound of the cardboard though! Very ingenious! My wife can get hold of quite a few large boxes, so hopefully I can get those over the next few weeks, and start to cover the beds!

I have been meaning to contribute to this forum for a while, I read it everyday! I have finally plucked up the courage to ask a few questions! I will post some pictures of the plot soon, I took some when I first got the keys, it's transformed quite a lot since then!

Thank you for your replies it's much appreciated, im new to growing on an allotment, previously I have been a back garden urban veg grower! I've already learnt a lot in simply clearing, designing / planning and digging over the plot! Hopefully this year will be a steep, but rewarding learning curve!

Thanks again!

Tim.

Comment

Spuds!!!!! These can be planted on the rougher bits of land with some compost/muck in the Bottom of the trenches. Thats a start to getting humus into the soil and the trenching and earthing up will help to break up the soil for next year. You will be amazed at the difference next year.

Best of luck
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

pray for frost. That breaks up clay like nothing else can.

Comment

Agree with frost - my new allotment is fully overgrown, and the frost must have worked wonders on the clay as the weeds are pulling out really easy (much to the annoyance of the regulars I think as they keep saying my plot will be hard work...)

Comment

Just lookout Kirsty if you start growing something big and green, they won't be happy Well I guess they probably remember how hard it was when they started, they will be impressed when you get going tho.
                  Another 007 - sounds like you've got started well. Have a look around at the blogs on here, they give you loads of idea's and you can then try the ones that appeal to you.
                  Best of luck
                  Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Well there is a bout of cold weather heading this way this week which will help!

Seems like I have got going well, we'll have to see how well I do this year! I'm looking forward to the challenge. I get comments of it will be a hard plot and "the previous tenant had it looking amazing" which is frustrating but to be fair their next reply is normal "you're doing well though!" so hopefully it will all come together come march.

I will have a look around the blogs, like I say I visit the forums daily so I have been interested to see what people have been doing and giving advice - I have learnt a lot so far!

Comment

Out of interest Two Sheds, why do you not manure?
                      because:

- I live in a town, no horses nearby
                      - I didn't have a car, and didn't want manure in my bike panniers
                      - manure has recently been contaminated with aminopyralid. You'll want to google that
                      - I wondered if I could grow without it. I can
                      - I wondered if green manures would give me as good results: they do.
                      - I'm very open to new ideas. If I'm told I must use manure, then I'll find out why, and then look for an alternative

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X