No announcement yet.

Hi, i'm new - and i've got a question.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, i'm new - and i've got a question.

Hi all, I've just joined the forum. I got an allotment last summer/autumn and i dug out a load of stuff that was overgrown along the border. I think it was bracken and creeping buttercup. Anyway, in the last couple of weeks i've noticed hundreds of tiny onion-shaped bulbs sitting on top of the soil, and they're all starting to hatch! Does anyone know what they are, and what can i do to get rid of them (apart from pick them all out, which would take forever) is it the creeping buttercup coming back to haunt me?

Hope someone can help....

Cheers!
    He-Pep!

seeds germinate, they don't hatch . Creeping buttercup doesn't look like onions. can you post a pic so we can get a look?

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

If you could post a picture, that may help - there are a great many plants that grow from bulbs.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I like the thought of them hatching - made me smile!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hi Bario, welcome to the vine. First things first, could you please let us know where you are. If you add your location to your profile it will show on your posts and save us having to keep asking.

Creeping buttercup doesn't produce bulbs, so your problem with the bulbs is not that.

You say the bulbs are starting to hatch - what exactly do you mean by that?

Comment

Thanks for your replies, i don't have a pic but i'll take one next time i'm down. The bulbs are about the size of a pea and white, and they're all developing white roots and green shoots. I remember finding a load of clusters of bulbs when i dug this patch over... i'm worried i've spread something evil over the place.

I'm in Edinburgh. My plot is like a swamp.
            He-Pep!

Comment

It's probably not evil, stop worrying so much. Any idea what the bulbs were? Have you spoken to any of the other plotholders to find out what was growing on your plot before you took it over?

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                My plot is like a swamp.
                I think everyone's plot is like a swamp at the moment. Last year was a terrible one for GYO. I live in Suffolk and my soil in the garden and on the allotment is sandy and free-draining. However at the moment they are both too wet to walk on, never mind cultivate.

Comment

Could it be wild onions or just something that went to seed? It's probably ediable and useful, so post a pic and someone will know what it is!
                  http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Could even be snowdrops, who knows? We need pictures

Comment

Sounds a bit like my 3 cornered leek bulbs - but could be anything! Do they smell garlicky?

Comment

I'll take a pic at the weekend and we can clear this mystery up. Hope its snowdrops!
                        He-Pep!

Comment

My bet is snowdrops too! ...lucky you if it is!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by kathycam View Post
                            It's probably ediable and useful
                            for goodness sake, don't eat it until we've ID'd it
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I hope they're not grape hyacinth... i'm 6 years into a war, thats not over yet!
                              <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X