No announcement yet.

Allotment update

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm able to put up a fence, I just don't think it will happen this season, its roughly 45-50 foot long the bit I need to block/fence... eek! (I'm living in hope someone will see the work I'm putting in and want to be my neighbour!)

Comment

I have piccies from when I first got my plot - I'll post them up tomorrow when I've been down and will take a pic of how it looks now...it will be vastly different, although I have a LOT of work to do still! The plot was sat for 6-7 years with no serious attempt at cultivation and the soil is amazing and its organic pretty much as guy before had it for a long while and he was organic...once you get through the rubbish and weeds its amazing soil, great texture and will be fertile

Kirsty - I'm putting a fence in on one side too - mine is about the same, maybe 40-45M...I'm just banging in tree stakes (6ft ones banged about 2 ft down) every 5m then putting galvanised wire at 3 heights across which will be a fence but also a support to train my raspberries to.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work being done by both of you. I would think that the coucil would be happy to see what you've done, and what you've planned, especially if you let them know ahead of time.
        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I hope so as I really don't want to lose my plot. I moved house about a year ago now and despite telling them 4 times now that I have moved, I still have letters go to my old house! Doh! But I have the email of the allotment inspector so I just speak to him direct now as it seems the council are unable to even change my address which is a pain in the backside!

I'm now having a late, high carb breakfast before enjoying my day off digging brambles and putting a fence up. Wish me luck! When I return over 50% of the plot will have been dug, half of my fence will be up and my weed membrane will be down

Comment

Good session - did 4 hours in all. Banged in 5 fence posts but noticed 2 of them are on the wonk so will have to move them when I can be bothered haha. Last bit of digging I talked up a bit - I got it done eventually, but there was rubbish EVERYWHERE and at one point, 3 LAYERS OF CARPET the lowest one was over 2 and a half foot down, i had to dig a massive trench then move all the soil off the top to get at it. I', glad I did it, but I ache now! Once I dug those out (took 90 mins in all of non stop digging) I managed to roughly rake over and dig the rest...so my plot is dug halfway now Plus weeded the strawb bed and planted some bulbs and more strawberries. I'm gonna pop down there before work on Tuesday for 2-3 hours and put up my signs with plot number on, plus do a bit more raking and lay down my weed membrane...then I'm off on holidays for a few weeks! I'm tres excited I have a very quiet week at work on return from hols so will be spending most of it at the plot getting it ship shape for planting

Comment

I now have about 35 rubbish bags on the plot waiting to get dumped though - I sent an email to the alltoment inspector explaining why (low suspension car + wet carpet is not good!!)...but once you get past the mountain of bags at the front, the plot is coming together nicely

I'm gonna sift through my seeds tonight and see what needs to be prepared when and stick it in my diary - this will give me something to work towards, plus with all of this digging and rubbish excavation I feel a little detatched from the actual growing of veg. I need inspiration so I can throw myself with the same energy into my growing and preparing now

Comment

I'm resisting the fence... mainly because I need to probably put something to block as many of the crops/weeds/brambles invading from next door... i'm germinating sweet peas/lilys/summer bulbs, and at the top end of the plot i'll put beans/peas if I get them in.

Comment

Well Buzz you may not have got started as quickly as you should have, but surely since there was a lot of carpet and stuff that should not have been there, they should take that into consideration. Sadly, that doesn't always happen.
                  Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I am hoping that they will now see how much rubbish I have had to remove! I read through the allotment rules, and it states that when you leave a plot. you are required to remove all rubbish and carpet etc, else the council will do so for you and you will be charged - it doesn't say that they will do this for definite, but I'm sure I shouldn't be spending so much effort and time clearing other peoples rubbish when they stipulate that they will do it and charge the person dumping it? I could have been a lot further along if I didn't have to clear a site full of rubbish, hardcore, glass, tiles and carpet. Ah well, the front half looks great now - although it needs raking over and levelling off, then I'm gonna prepare for planting proper.

Comment

My plot had been left for 6 years or so before I got it - such a shame as some of the more established plotholders remember the previous owner well and with fond memories and are very happy that i've taken it on and put so much effort into it...i just hope its enough. I explained to the council that its just me doing it by hand; no helpers, no machines, no family to come down and gis a hand. Just a girl on shift work haha. I hope they can see how its going to plan out

Comment

My son's at UEA, he's quite handy on the allotment when needed (unlike his dad!) I'm sure he's love to do some digging, but not too much as I think I'll have some for him when he comes home in a few weeks!

Comment

Haha! Send him my way lol!!

To be fair, I've made good progress recently - I'm super proud Am off to india tomorrow morning for 2 weeks, then when I get back I have a very, very quiet week at work and have plans for the plot.

I still haven't heard back from the council about updating my address - am a bit worried really as I can't keep driving to my old house to pick up letters they might be sending.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X