picked my plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• picked my plot

well i went to the allotment site yesterday to pick my plot,there were 4 empty plots and i was 1st on the waiting list.there were 3 of us there to pick a plot,the guy from the local parish council and the chairman of the allotment club.
    off they went with 4 posts with yellow flags on them!!,when they came back they said we would go one at a time to look at the plots with them and choose which one we wanted, i wondered what the point of the flags were if they were coming with us it tuns out they had all the info on them, plot no's, soil type, how long it had been empty, and what came with the plot.
    off i go 1st plot next to the road,no thanks, 2nd plot looks like someone has just walked off it after doing all the work!!!!, dug over,big heap of compost at one end, tap at the end of the plot, and a shed!!!!!!,mmm, i looked at the other 2 but they were jungles, 1 had not been worked for 2 yrs.
    so i had the one that everyone wanted, dead chuffed,i paid my £25 years rent, and went of to have a good look round it. opened shed door, its ok no holes in roof etc,bit of tidying and its ready to go. stacked at the back of the shed 7 pallets,job done.

to say i'm well chuffed is an understatement,turns out the woman who had it before me,just gave it up.

i'm back up tomorrow with some gear to make compost bins with pallets and refelt shed roof, got 2 water butts to go up as well.

i will post some pics tomorrow.

pete

How very exciting! It sounds fab, and you should be able to get planting really soon

Pics would be great - we're a nosey lot on here

Comment

Sounds fantastic!
      Did the other plots get taken too?

Comment

Lucky you - sounds perfect Happy growing!

Comment

Woohoo! Bet the others are envious of you!

Happy planning and planting!
          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Welcome to the vine Pete, sounds perfect.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

yeah the other 2 guys picked plots as well, the only one left is the one by the road,there is a bit of work to do on it but all the major heavy work has been done, the plots on either side are really well kept and tidy so gives me something to work to,i have a greenhouse at home so will soon be sowing seeds.
              i've been collecting stuff,timber etc for a few months(since i've been on the list),so have plenty of materials for a spot of diy.
              my missus cant wait for me to get going,since i retired i'm in her way!!!!!!

there is a free manure service as well,from the council, but i've already got a huge compost heap to move to the top of the plot.

pete

Comment

Sounds like you have fallen on your feet!

Fantastic news...bet you're like a little kid at Xmas now eh???
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Congrats on getting your plot Pete, bet you can't wait to get back down there.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

How lucky are you! Everybody dreams of getting the perfect, dug-over, empty, unweedy plot ~ and it looks like you found it
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

not exactly unweedy, but not overgrown,at least i can see the soil!!!!just wants a light going over with a fork, the others on offer were proper overgrown!!!,

pete

Comment

And a shed as well! Sounds perfect. HAve you drawn out plans yet?!
                        Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

Congrats, can't wait to see the pics. Sounds almost perfect
                          An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

been up today to do a bit of diy, made some compost bins with the pallets, started to sort the shed,on closer inspection the floors rotten,but thats no prob i've got loads of pallets to make a new floor,the roof needs re felting,put a grill up at the windows and put new locks on the door,next time i go up i'll load some timber on my trailer and strengthen the door and make a bench.
                            so far a good day, real cold wind and snow flurry's but ok.

pete

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X