Need inspiration about paths

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need inspiration about paths

I was given a plot in Oct 2012. I have cleared much and begun planting soft fruit bushes, and raspberry canes.

Its a small plot by comparison to others (1/3 normal) and hidden behind two other plots off the main paths making access difficult. The plots are also on the wrong side of railway lines from the car park.

I want to make some paths around the plot and between fruit bushes. Carting tons of wood chippings across railway lines in a wheel barrow doesn't appeal. I have some carpet down, tarps to suppress weeds but am struggling to think how to make low maintenance paths which suppress weed growth long term.

Any ideas?

How about biochar?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

what's that?

(Very new to this...)

Comment

Sorry raspberry ripple.......welcome by the way.......I'd go for chippings.......they work well for me. Grass is a nightmare unless you have hours to spend on maintaining it.......I think carpet could be a nightmare if it's not organic......you don't want man made fibres everywhere......

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by Raspberry Ripple View Post
          what's that?

(Very new to this...)
          My poor attempt at humour......then I saw you were a new member.....I look forward to hearing from you ...we are a friendly bunch here.......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Cardboard? Just keep adding it layer upon layer. Free, light to carry, rots down - you can even plant through it if you change your mind about the layout - and Welcome to the Grapevine Raspberry Ripple

Comment

Cardboard seemed a good idea, but how do you secure it? Even the (sadly not organic) carpet blows about.

How much wood chip would I need and would I need to brave the checkouts at B&Q?

Comment

You can weight it down with stones, logs, bags of soil/compost - anything really! Some allotments have deliveries of wood chippings from local tree surgeons although its sounds as if you'd still have to barrow or bag it to move it over the railway lines.

Comment

Wood chip will need replacing every year: as an organic material, it rots down eventually.

I've used every kind of path material known to womankind: right now I've just got bare earth, but I let green manures self seed in it. The grass comes too, which is unwelcome because it seeds everywhere, but is easy enough to hoe out, or smother with cardboard if it gets too troublesome.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

I've used 3/4 stone (big gravel) over membrane in the past - worked very well until the conifer roots and plum suckers worked their way up. I've also used grass, and just run a mower along it periodically. Both have worked for me, and the mowings get used as mulch or added to the compost.
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hi Rasperry - I have been fortunate enough to get a load of free wood chippings and put them on top of a weed suppressant which seems to be working fine at the moment, although you do need a fair amount.

However my main point is use a sack barrow - far better than a wheelbarrow as it really lightens the load - you can easily carry the sack of woodchippings across the line, unless there is a crossing point, in which case no problem.

If not, I would dump the sack on the far side and return for more chippings, provided sacks are available, and repeat until all are across then reload etc. etc.

Whatever you decide good luck
                      Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Woodchippings are light and should be easy to shift in a barrow. Use the biggest barrow you can borrow.

Comment

If you can get them on the cheap or even free, 2x2 slabs.

Someone from work was getting rid of a load last summer so I took the lot, plot looks so much better and I don't have to worry about it rotting down or mowing it.
                          An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X