Allotment to be sold

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment to be sold

Hi All, I have recently acquired a plot on my local allotment in Leatherhead, this week I have received a letter from Mole Valley Council saying they are looking into selling the allotment along with adjoining land, they are looking into potential ways to raise money due to government cuts. I know we have a few plots not being. The land is right next to the M25 would still raise millions if it was used for housing.

The letter also states that it could take up to 5 years or more for this to go through, they have even proposed a new site for us!!!:

Any ideas or advice is welcomed!

Regards Greensmen

PS, On a more positive note 5 friends came down to help me today and we completely cleared the plot, re roofed the shed, built 5 8x4ft raised beds and 2 compost heaps!!

Hi bud,the first thing to do would be to send an email ......

It will also be the job of the developer to relocate the allotments, potentially to the site on Barnett Wood Lane which is coloured green on the attached plan. Part of the relocation brief would be improved facilities on the site and MVDC invites all allotment holders to email leatherheadbypass@molevalley.gov.uk with suggestions as to what facilities they would like to see at any proposed new site.
    This is the map mentioned above ... http://www.molevalley.gov.uk/media/p.../Site_Plan.pdf

Taken from ...... Mole Valley - Leatherhead Bypass Potential Development Site
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Hi Greensmen,

Oh I feel for you. Yes I saw this in the local paper as well - made my blood freeze for a moment as I have a plot in an Epsom & Ewell site. The tenants went through this recently with a building plot adjoining our allotment. The council deliberately left the site barely tenanted - we think they were hoping for a sale due to lack of use. The local paper was handy as it published this policy so making the council address the demand they had parked and the council thought better of it, that is how I got my plot. We are now fully tenanted and the threat seems to have stopped.

I wish you all well - the plot at the Olympic site had to move and I suspect they will use it as precedent. Perhaps join any allotment society you can and seek their professional advice before asking for anything regarding the move - potentially you could be homeless for a while and that is not acceptable. Do you know what did they use as a sweetener for the Olympic tenants?

Also maybe get some recycled pots from Chessington Garden Centre to use for your asparagus and fruit plants - this could happen quickly and at an awkward time of year for moving and growing produce. Seek assurance on the move timing perhaps. Make a fuss with loads of questions.

Having said that my plot was adjacent to the builders for some months - bit of a nightmare really either way [especially after the fence was taken down].

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X