manure/compost advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manure/compost advice

I am a beginner and I need some advice. I live in Dundee and I was wondering if it is too late for me to put manure or compost into the ground now.

Hi Davetosh - welcome to the Vine!

I think that it depends on what you are growing, and how fresh the manure is. If it is going to be a potato bed, I'd bung manure on in a thick layer even if it is quite fresh - after all, you aren't going to be planting anything in the bed for best part of two months, I wouldn't have thought, and it will be fine by then.

If you are going to be growing root veg in the bed, then I'd leave well alone and not add anything.

Comment

Hello Dave. Welcome to the Vine. What Hazel says is right, but why not tell us a bit more about what you want to grow and where (e.g. garden, pots or allotment).

Comment

I was thinking growing Broad Beans,courgettes,and squash that I got from the magazine

Comment

Oh sorry it`s in the front garden beside the house, I also fancied doing potatoes, herbs, leeks, lettuce, cabbage and spring onions.

Comment

Originally posted by davetosh251 View Post
            ...put manure or compost into the ground
            Don't put it INTO the ground: place it on the top of warmed, moist soil, as a mulch. Much more effective, and much less work for you (the worms will pull it into the soil, aerating as they go.

I was thinking growing ... courgettes,and squash
            Don't even think about sowing these until April
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thank you very much for all your help. This forum is so helpful.

Comment

I was thinking growing Broad Beans,courgettes,and squash that I got from the magazine
                Start off the courgettes & squash in toilet roll middles in a warm(ish) place in mid to late April.

Then when planting out dig a hole about the size of a small bucket & place shredded newspaper in the bottom and fill the hole with manure and place plants into manure.
                Manure tends to hold water which is vital to a good crop.
                Plants need LOTS of water & I tend to give my plants about a gallon of water each most days.
                Last edited by bubblewrap; 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM.
                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                Brian Clough

Comment

Thank for that I will do.

Comment

Hope the manure is not to new...........not if it's going next to the house

Why not try and make some manure tea, or weed/comfrey/nettle/seaweed tea while you are waiting for get started with the seeds? By the time you get all the stuff organised for it, and start it, then the seeds will be coming up and you'll be looking for fertilisers to water them with. Don't put the teas near the house either tho, or you might end up in the dog house.
                    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X