Growing veg for one

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing veg for one

Snowdrop will be 'in sunny climes' from end of June to Feb 2014 (*sobs)

I have a large veg growing area in my garden plus the lottie* - there is only so much veg one girl and two cats can eat/freeze - so I planned on turning much of the lottie over to flowers this year.

What would you do with lots of growing space and only one person to feed?

*Remember the project on camp? It's going really well
    aka
    Suzie

I would still do the growing. Keeps a body out of muschief and boredom. The produce when it comes off the ground is a great icebreaker for making friends when otherwise you might be lonely with your better half away for a spell and it is somehow so satisfying just to be able to share what you produce.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation Pisk hence this - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ies_69624.html I just want lots of veg in small quantities all year round - not gluts.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
        ... with your better half away ....
        My what??
        Last edited by piskieinboots; 25-01-2013, 07:47 PM.
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
          Snowdrop will be 'in sunny climes' from end of June to Feb 2014 (*sobs)

I have a large veg growing area in my garden plus the lottie* - there is only so much veg one girl and two cats can eat/freeze - so I planned on turning much of the lottie over to flowers this year.

What would you do with lots of growing space and only one person to feed?

*Remember the project on camp? It's going really well

There are food banks that give away food too needy people.

Maybe you could give your surplus produce to one such place?
          Last edited by bubblewrap; 25-01-2013, 07:55 PM.
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
            My what??
            Turn of phrase only me dear.

Comment

I was just going to suggest the same as BW What they would be particularly grateful for is things that can be eaten raw; some of their food handouts go to people with no cooking facilities. Other food parcels go to ordinary families who are in dire straits who I'm positive would be grateful for fresh veggies and fruit along with their tins of beans etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                There are food banks that give away food too needy people.
                Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                I was just going to suggest the same as BW
                What a darn good idea both - I will investigate - thanks
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Well I have a half plot lottie and there's only me to feed! I grow as many things on there that I really love to eat (peas, beans, leeks, sprouts, onions and lots of soft fruit amongst others). What I can't eat fresh I put in the freezer and this feeds me during the winter/following months.

When I get more than I want to freeze,(in most years but not in 2012!) then I give the surplus away to friends and neighbours. But BW's idea of the food bank is a good idea. I'll look into that this year.
                  Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

I was just going to suggest the same as BW What they would be particularly grateful for is things that can be eaten raw; some of their food handouts go to people with no cooking facilities. Other food parcels go to ordinary families who are in dire straits who I'm positive would be grateful for fresh veggies and fruit along with their tins of beans etc.
                    What I was thinking of was crops that people grow in quantity anyway such as potatoes or runner beans.
                    I give away more spinach to neighbours than we eat our selves.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

It also costs me next to nothing to grow a bit extra.
                      Potatoes,beans,carrots swede. etc.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

Here y'are Piskie, this might help: Give Food | Bedford Foodbank

And for anyone else looking for a foodbank to help: http://www.trusselltrust.org/
                        Last edited by SarzWix; 26-01-2013, 09:37 AM.

Comment

What about growing things you can preserve?

Comment

I think the food bank is a great idea. But I'd also be tempted to get some perrenials going, when you've only yourself to feed. So once they're back next year the plants should be established, will mean less work and you've made good use of your land.
                            http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Here y'are Piskie, this might help: Give Food | Bedford Foodbank
                              Thanks hun

Snowdrop has put in a request that I ensure he has much PSB for his return.
                              aka
                              Suzie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X