One strike and you're out...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One strike and you're out...

Does allotment sharing work, asks Lia Leendertz | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

The first was our latest allotment newsletter, which makes it clear that the times are a changing on our site. There will be no more warning letters. One strike and you're out, or at least asked to reduce the size of your plot.

Inspections will no longer take place only in June, giving slackers the chance to shape up for a few short weeks then kick on back into lazy neglect again. They will be carried out 'continually'

An interesting change on one site. Is it fair?

Don't have a problem with continual inspections as we all know someone who can pull it out of the bag for a month or so, however one strike and you're out seems harsh especially if the bar is set very high.

Comment

1 strike you're out seems very harsh

Continual inspections? Well that really does depend how competent the inspectors are - looks firmly in the direction of the inspector who issued a 'non-cultivation warning' because 'nothing was planted and weeds were growing in the second week of January (several beds are covered in manure in preparation for the new season, there are 3 beds of winter brassicas and the 'weeds' turned out to be the garlic and overwintering onions that are growing nicely!)

Comment

It will only take one eviction and other miscreants will fall into line...................................Maybe?
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

A bit harsh if someone with a good record is taken ill and can't get there for a while

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
            Is it fair?
            Yes, it's fair. At the moment there are some who treat an allotment as a right, not as a privilege. They think it's OK to pay their rent and then show up once or twice a year.
            Paying the rent is just the start of your commitment: you need to work it, regularly. Otherwise your weeds will infest everyone else's plots. Slackers are also preventing others on the waiting list from having a plot.

Of course, if you become unwell, or break a leg, or have a holiday, that's fine, as long as you let people know. Don't just disappear for months on end.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
              Does allotment sharing work, asks Lia Leendertz | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

The first was our latest allotment newsletter, which makes it clear that the times are a changing on our site. There will be no more warning letters. One strike and you're out, or at least asked to reduce the size of your plot.

Inspections will no longer take place only in June, giving slackers the chance to shape up for a few short weeks then kick on back into lazy neglect again. They will be carried out 'continually'

An interesting change on one site. Is it fair?
              The Continual Inspections seem like a good idea - think I'll recommend it to the my friend on the Committee.

The 1 strike business will depend on how it is handled
              Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Andromeda View Post
                Continual inspections? Well that really does depend how competent the inspectors are
                Oh yes, absolutely it does.

The committee think that my plot is covered in weeds. They've never heard of green manures, and think that soil should be left bare from November to April.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

About five years ago and someone too over the allotment to mine they were in the pub(so I understand) saying that they had an allotment. They lived on the same street as me( five minuets walk away and only in their 20s)
                  They never came down once.
                  They were "evicted" after nine months.
                  I have had three neighbours since & they have all been carp.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Oh yes, absolutely it does.

The committee think that my plot is covered in weeds. They've never heard of green manures, and think that soil should be left bare from November to April.
                    Trouble is our site is sometimes inspected at the wrong time it's no use inspecting in November/December when little is going on.
                    But if nobody is seen to be doing anything in April then something is wrong.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X