DYI woodchips?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DYI woodchips?

OK, so I'm planning my new plot and telling somebody at work about it. I explained how we're going to prune the apple tree and my dad will kindly take the larger branches away and dispose of them.

I also said how I was going to put weed matting down on the paths and in time woodchip them.

My colleague made what seems like quite a valid point - why not use the apple tree branches to woodchip the paths (or at least start them off)? Of course, that depends on me getting hold of a wood chipper, but is this viable? Does it matter what type of wood you use in a woodchipper?! I know it may sound like a daft question, but I know some things are not as simple as you'd like them to be.

Thanks.
    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Don't shred but hugelkulture them :-)

Comment

Oh my gosh - even if you don't use a chipper I'll come and take the wood away! Don't bin it!

Pm me!

Comment

Depends on the diameter, but it would usually be of interest to wood carvers/turners. You wouldn't believe what they pay for wood and apple is a favourite.

Pottyu
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Applewood is good for smoking too (in a smoker - not a pipe)!

Comment

You can hire a chipper/shredder from most tool hire type places. They have a maximum diameter that they can cope with, it usually says on the hire company's website what that is in the description. Anything bigger than that can be dealt with as everyone has mentioned above. Also, any long, straight bits can be used for plant supports (bean frames for eg)

I had my leylandii lopped a couple of years ago and the chippings from that covered nearly all of my fruit bed, so well worth doing I think

Comment

If you want woodchip, try some local tree surgeons, they're normally only too happy to give it away free. The hugelkulture bed sounds a good idea. We tried burning some branches we had to prune, but they were a little too green to burn well.
              http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Originally posted by kathycam View Post
                If you want woodchip, try some local tree surgeons, they're normally only too happy to give it away free. The hugelkulture bed sounds a good idea. We tried burning some branches we had to prune, but they were a little too green to burn well.
                Or do like we did and follow the van/lorry thingy
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I use chipped small branches for a mulch and path cover. Works a treat but eventually get ground in.. A 4-5 cm layer works well..

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                    Or do like we did and follow the van/lorry thingy
                    LOL I rang some up. One wanted money for it. LOL. LOL. LOL.
                    Another two put me on their list and one of them bought me some the next day )

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X