Exciting changes afoot on our site!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting changes afoot on our site!

I bumped into one of the committee at our allotments this morning, and been told that our committee Chair has unexpectedly left and moved house a hundred miles away! This is cause for much

This delightful person was almost responsible for me losing my plot through their blatant lying (to get themselves out of trouble with the rest of the committee), and also threw a dampener over any ideas that anyone ever came up with to improve the plots, or to foster a sense of community within the allotment site. They pooh-poohed seed swaps, setting up a shop, having communal machinery, setting up work-parties to deal with problem areas and plots, and managed to claim for themselves all the plots with working stand-pipes. They had 4 plots with 3 massive polytunnels, 3 greenhouses, 3 stand-pipes and the last remaining brick storage building...

All of this bounty will now be split back into individual plots, the polytunnels and greenhouses are up for sale, and the standpipes and brick building are being split off for community use. I really can't stop That'll be me standing for committee in March then!

I can sense how thrilled you are, Sarah How exciting - and what a fantastic start to the growing year. You'd better not say where this obnoxious person has gone, in case its somewhere with allotments

Comment

Grow for it girl! A case of do as I say, not as I do - nice power crazed eejit bites the dust. Not what we need in this world
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        I can sense how thrilled you are, Sarah How exciting - and what a fantastic start to the growing year. You'd better not say where this obnoxious person has gone, in case its somewhere with allotments
        B8gger - checking the distance from Skipton - Derbyshire...
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

You're alright VVG, it isn't Derbyshire. That's why I wasn't anymore descriptive about their person though, they're almost certain to pop up at a site somewhere, but hopefully not in a position of any power

Comment

What fabulous news! It is so aggravating when one sour miseryguts ruins what should be a peaceful and easy-going gardening community.

On your behalf, I shall do a dance of glee!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
              You're alright VVG, it isn't Derbyshire. That's why I wasn't anymore descriptive about their person though, they're almost certain to pop up at a site somewhere, but hopefully not in a position of any power
              Thank goodness. We've only just earned our stripes with the old chap

Comment

Now everyone is drawing 100 mile radii from Skipton and praying that they're not within it! The remedy is for all allotment holders here to stand for their Committee so that there are no vacancies for this person to fill

Comment

Sounds like a plan... Although they only got to that position on our site through being one of the 'old-timers' who took on many plots in order to keep the site going. So I guess one has to be grateful for that at least. But they made sure that everyone knew it

So, if your site suddenly gains a new member that looks like the attached picture, don't let 'em on the committee

I haven't noticed anyone on here coming from the same location that this person has moved to, so don't fret peeps
                  Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic news. You can move on now. I hope the plotholders on our site don't have the same feelings about me as chair as you obviously have about yours!

Comment

So am I safe here Upper Woodenhill then Sarz

Pleased for you girl

Has your allotments got a public address system ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AB2Y-ZsEak
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Great news! It really does annoy me when committee members have like 3 plots. I've seen it on both sites I've been on

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                          Great news! It really does annoy me when committee members have like 3 plots. I've seen it on both sites I've been on
                          It's against our rules - but it seems in the days when allotment waiting lists were empty people would take on extra plots on some sites to avoid them being left abandoned.

It means that on one site husbands and wives have their own separate plots. Saves arguing I spose but does nothing for the waiting lists and is breaching current rules.

Comment

TBH, I have no problem with the multiple plot thing; if they hadn't done that, there'd have been no site to have a waiting list for, because it would have been built on.

The hoarding of the resources such as water, and the suppression of any community spirit is what annoyed the hell out of most people.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                              Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                              It's against our rules - but it seems in the days when allotment waiting lists were empty people would take on extra plots on some sites to avoid them being left abandoned.

It means that on one site husbands and wives have their own separate plots. Saves arguing I spose but does nothing for the waiting lists and is breaching current rules.
                              TBH, I have no problem with the multiple plot thing; if they hadn't done that, there'd have been no site to have a waiting list for, because it would have been built on. As you say, if it wasn't for the likes of me, there would be no plots.

Sarz, I'm glad that someone has grasped the reality of the situation. The admin for our plots is dealt with directly by the local Council so we have no input as to who get what number of plots.

I have three half plots having taken on two initially and another later. There was no demand for plots when I took mine on and I've had to work tremendously hard to clear the plots from a state of dereliction. I had literally to throw every spadeful of soil in the most recent plot through a mesh to clear the couch and other perennial weeds.

I'm secretary of our allotments association and put a lot of time and effort into trying to make things better for all the plotters on the site and occasionally I get the gripey question" why are you allowed to have so many plots?" I make no bones about spelling out the facts of life to them.

The most annoying thing is that those who complain, are generally those who don't look after their own plots.
                              Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 09-01-2013, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X