To mulch sheet or not to mulch sheet - that is the question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To mulch sheet or not to mulch sheet - that is the question

I am currently digging my plot over for the winter.

I was planning to put mulch sheet down over the plots once dug, and I noticed that the people on the plot next to mine have done this also.

Then I noticed that one of my neighbours in my street (who is a keen gardener, and pretty self-sufficient in veg terms) hasn't done this. He has left his open to the elements; maybe to let the frost get to the soil?

I'm not sure what to do for the best now! My soil isn't very clay based so I don't know if frost getting to it is really going to be much of an advantage.

I would welcome some advice please - or just examples of what you do
    Your brain gets smart, but your head gets dumb

I never cover my plot - I just dig it over a couple of times before the winter sets in and try and get as much weeds out as I can, then in the spring I again dig it over a couple of times - more work, but after a years work my plots been dug over around 6 times and now the soil is in great condition - and the only weeds I get are brambles and they are few and far between

Comment

I dig it over and leave it in big lumps, this allows the water and more importantly the frost to get at all the wee little beasties (slugs). Over the course of a few months the soil with be all broken down for you, so that you can fork and rake it over early spring.

I only ever cover my ground if I'm trying to surpress weeds or to warm the soil and keep it dry prior to early spring planting.

My advise would be don't cover, it won't get swamped by weeds at this time of year. There will be contradictory opinions to mine especially those that prefer to heavy mulch as opposed to digging, so you'll have to go with what you feel you are comfortable in doing.
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by FruityLoop View Post
        I was planning to put mulch sheet down over the plots once dug, and I noticed that the people on the plot next to mine have done this also.
        What exactly do you mean by mulch sheet? Do you mean the weed suppressant fabric, or a mulch of compost or manure?

Comment

As I couldn't get to work on most of my plot this year, I weeded it thoroughly in August and then laid down a deep mulch of well rotted grass cuttings. Now the surface looks like turf and is absolutely full of young grass. If I try to pull it out then all the mulch comes up as well. I'd like to leave it all in place until spring but by then it is probably going to be a nightmare to weed. Any suggestions about what I can do to make it usable for next spring other than digging it all in which will defeat the purpose somewhat of a surface mulch?

Comment

Originally posted by BertieFox View Post
            Any suggestions about what I can do to make it usable for next spring other than digging it all in which will defeat the purpose somewhat of a surface mulch?
            well if you dont want to dig it, but want to kill off the grass the only option is to either use weedkiller or cover it with something like cardboard (which will kil the weeds and act as a second layer of mulch - it will probably have gone by spring, but if it hasn't you can always plant through it ) - if i where you i would do the latter
            Last edited by Matt94; 15-11-2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Bare soil is subject to erosion. Your topsoil is the lifeblood of your garden, you don't want to lose it to wind or rains.

A bit more on p.10 of this report from the WWF

I try to never have bare soil, ever.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi rustylady - it's a black plastic sheet. I think it has tiny little holes in it for moisture to pass through. It came in a packet from B&Q labelled as mulch sheet :-S
                Your brain gets smart, but your head gets dumb

Comment

What Two Sheds said, cover it, to stop the rain leeching the nutrients. Cardboard works. This year I'm doing a layer of leafs and then a thin layer of the free council soil improver/ black stuff.
                  http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Originally posted by FruityLoop View Post
                    Hi rustylady - it's a black plastic sheet. I think it has tiny little holes in it for moisture to pass through. It came in a packet from B&Q labelled as mulch sheet :-S
                    I looked on the B & Q site but couldn't find mulch sheet. The nearest I found was weed suppressant, and as the others have said, thick cardboard would be just as effective and free from local shops.

Comment

I think its that really thin black plastic - about the same weight as binbags. I bought some from LIDL years ago but it was so lightweight that it needed rocks all over to keep it in place. Intended growing strawberries through it - never did and never will now!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X