No announcement yet.

Deposits on allotments?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As ours is a new site, we don't have major brambles/saplings etc (yet), and we hope to keep it that way. Plots that have been neglected are usually covered with grass, thistles and milk weed/ sow thistles. We have a volunteer who will strim and/or rotivate plots for £20 a time, which he donates to the local nursey school.
    Every plot we've had to reallocate has been left by the tenant until it looks neglected, then by the time they get the friendly email asking if they have any problems, then the warning letter and have the chance to show some activity, the weeds are getting higher and often flowering. I think we need to move a bit faster, although as this was our first proper year, and the weather has been appalling, we were maybe more tolerant than we will be next year.
    The association usually pays for the strimming (our £20 deposit covers that cost) , then it's up to the new tenant as to how they want to proceed. Some go the weedkiller and rotivate path, others want to be more organic and dig out or smother the weeds. We leave it up to them, but we do expect to see some activity within a month of taking it on.
    We also only provide one key per plot, with one name on the tenancy. That person is ultimately responsible for key and plot condition. Security isn't very high anyway, people who are able bodied (not me though ), can easily climb over the gate.
    Last edited by BarleySugar; 03-11-2012, 02:30 PM.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kathycam View Post

Our allotment charges a few quid for a key, but are thinking of changing the lock as its been in use for years, and so there are probably hundreds of copies with people who no longer have plots. I think the new keys are going to be a £30 deposit, which seems high to me, as I'd need one for me and one for my boyfriend, it soon adds up. Security is a big problem at the allotment and it will take more than a new padlock to fix it.
      Recently I went to a locksmith to get some new keys for a padlock at work.
      My manager gave me £30, they were out of stock of the blanks so I innocently asked how many I would get for £30.
      He replied "nearly one" I couldn't believe it!

Comment

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Ours is a small village parish council site. There are no fences, padlocks or sheds....although we have a few greenhouses and fruitcages in the last few years.

When I first got my plot (A village show rival moved 10 years or so ago and suggested I take it on...they even left a pile of muck as they kept alpaccas ..bless them.) Back then there were five tenants. The manager had three plots and a tractor with which he would plough, top etc the field of weeds...the seeding was appalling. I joined the council and took on running the site about six years ago. We now have around 16 tenants. All site maintenance is done free by myself or anyone who will volunteer....rents are very low.

There are always one or two tenants that will come, break their back at Easter weekend then sow in a biblical way... returning 2 months later wondering why its just a sea of weeds. Although you might argue that if you can't get over the hard first season you are not an allotmenteer... I believe that you give people the best chance of success starting with a clean plot. Also it is better for all not to have seeding plots.

So I clear and cover with mypex any unused plots. All good....I can cope

However we had a few tenants from local towns, one lost impetus...one lad planted a vineyard. Another old dear battled on for a few years but the legacy is a plot of raspberries and jeruselems and couch. I don't know but I have a business, two plots and a family. I even have a press and I would love to take on the grapes...just ain't enough hours in the day.(same for anyone else I've asked). So I have to rent it or grub it all up...even that is a good day's labour.

I think either the rent goes up to pay some labour (don't like that) or deposits. It is not a matter of trying to con some money out of people like a slum landlord. Just maybe £40 to stop people taking the p*ss.

Comment

On reading your last post I had a thought - can you not offer some of the grape vines and raspberries to your existing plotholders for a small charge as long as they dig them up themselves and make the area good afterwards?

Just make sure it is cheaper than getting a similar sized plant from the garden centre and I'm sure you could have a way of recouping some costs from the vacant plot, a bit of free labour as well.

Andy
          http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

If I recall correctly we paid a £5 deposit for the key ( £10 if you wanted 2 keys) on the council plot we first had. That was about 20 years ago!
            We had to pay for our keys to be cut on the private site but then had to 'donate' it/them back when we left.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X