He wins every year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    Fraid he's already spoken for as an eventual Alex Ferguson replacement!
    Can cope wi that, s'long as we top the Premiership first...!
    Sounds like you might be getting Big Sam? That'd be good, the derby be worth watching!
    Altho, since moving to Yorkshire, I find myself wanting Newcastle (and Middlesbro) to do well - so many ppl round here support Man U - what's that all about?! Have some affinity with the place you come from, for heaven's sake! The more local teams could really do wi supporters - Leeds, Bradford, but no, lets only support the ones who already winning....
    Sunderland were my Grandad's team (they used to provide lodging for some players back in the 60's), my Dad's team, and they beat Leeds in the FA cup on my 1st birthday. Wouldn't matter to me if they were in the Conference, they'd still be my team...
    Rant over....

D'you think we should have a footie thread in Chit-Chat?

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
      Yes, I think a footie thread in General chitchat would be a good idea Sarah.
      It would certainly stir up a bit of local patriotism! Might get a bit heated though! Cyber footy??? Now there's a thought!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I can't believe I'm reading this!

What is the point in having a competition if you are simply going to fiddle the results?

It isn't a problem if the best plot wins every year surely! If you disqualify him you'll only be robbing whoever wins of any real achievement. You can't ask him to judge as you already say that it's done by a plotholder from another site. It sounds as if the guy should be your sites representative for judging on another site.

Having a most improved plot award is a good idea, but is going to be won by a newbie or novice and won't address the issue will it.

I feel you are missing the point of the competition, it is not about winning, but about taking part, learning from the winner and celebrating the achievment. The best plot is a benchmark we all look up to and the pride of the site surely.

It isn't the people who enjoy a straight competition who have a problem, it's people who want to fix the competition who need to look at their attitudes to it in my view.

If anyone can't handle this they they shouldn't take part.

I've got absolutely no chance whatsoever of winning our plot competition, and I won't try, but if I do better than last year I'll be pleased, simply because I'm making progress with the plot. I'll enjoy talking to the winners and looking at their plots for ideas.

Comment

We don't have a plot competion but a flowershow here. I won everything twice in a row and you may not win again for two years although i still put in stuff for the good of the show. Ok... but when I was allowed to win the tray of veg again (my favourite comp) a couple of years ago. I put in a tray and no-one, but more particularly my closest rival, went against me!whoopie I won Then I had to go to a wedding in France last year and she entered everything because she knew she would/could win without me I really can't be bothered to dig up 1/2 the lottie and compete with mean-spirited folk like that again.

Comment

There's a guy called John at our lottie. His plots are immaculately laid out, he wins all the local shows with his flowers and veg and last year won the Bishop Auckland In Bloom (Allotments Section) competition. We're all proud of him, not jealous of him!
            http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

hi all,

if you follow the chelsea flower show then you will know Medwyn Williams has just won ten gold in ten years for his veg,what an achievement i know, in another competion, he entered, won, and could not go again for three nail biting years, when he entered, he did it again, he was happy having ten in a row and then achieved a double, what a feeling, could this type of thing not be applied ?, thanks, my first post, sorry if not that clear.

Comment

Hi Libbyloulou! Welcome to the Grapevine!
                [

Comment

Hi Libbyloulou, Welcome to the vine.

Yes I do know of Medwyn Williams and his fantastic veg. But this will be my first visit to the CFS as I have a ticket this year.

I apologise but i'm not sure i understand you post/point.

Comment

medwyn could not enter his second comp for three years, as in the First post, on this thread--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of our plotholders wins our 'Best Plot' competition every year because his plot really is excellent. He is not the competitive sort, his plot is so good because he is a good gardener. However, we (the committee) feel that because he wins every year, it puts others off trying too hard to win because they know they can't compete with him.
                    We have independent judges from another allotment district and after they chose him last year they mentioned that perhaps he shouldn't be entered again for this year.
                    Would it be wrong of us to 'eliminate' him - in the nicest, most tactful way - in order to encourage others? Has anyone else had this happen at their site? I would be interested to hear other people's opinions. Thanks.

or have i got it wrong ? probarbly!, (can't even speel properly.

Comment

... err.... Libbyloulou (aka Squash63).... you *did* read page one?... I thought we had all got rather heated on the subject!

Terry
                      The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

If he wins every year good for him , and it would be ashame if the rules where doctored to give others a chance.
                        are allottment comittie has computitions every year .
                        best plot on site
                        best plot overall
                        best new comer
                        and a marrow compatition.
                        if the commitee feels that strongly about this then put a second place on the best plot , or have a quite word with him and say because your the best we would like to give him a lifetime acheivement award and make him the judge for the best plot at the next award ceromony that way he has a choice , but inform him he will have to exclude himself from the compatition.
                        this way serves many purposes , he dosn't feel pushed out and gets something like a trophy and maybe a record of his acheivment on a shield that he keeps untill his record is broken by someone else. and the winner next year feels like he won it fair and square , not by defalt which should make everyone happy.
                        ---) CARL (----
                        ILFRACOMBE
                        NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
                          ... err.... Libbyloulou (aka Squash63).... you *did* read page one?... I thought we had all got rather heated on the subject!

Terry
                          I really don't want to start a war over this, I got a bit scared when it became heated at the beginning! Anyway, I just thought I'd let you all know that one of the committee had a word with the Excellent Gardener about him not being eligible for this year's Best Plot competition and guess what - the E G was thrilled that we considered him so good and readily agreed that he should not enter!
                          BTW, Libbyloulou isn't Squash63, I am!
                          Betty (aka Squash63)
                          Walsall Road Allotments, Birmingham
                          www.growit.ik.com

Comment

Sorry Squash63, the way it read you had two names! My apologies.

Terry

Comment

Squash63, come and join in the chat http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ead.php?t=7152 the more people the better it gets!

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
                                Sorry Squash63, the way it read you had two names! My apologies.

Terry
                                No problem Terry.
                                Betty (aka Squash63)
                                Walsall Road Allotments, Birmingham
                                www.growit.ik.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X