Blight restistant spuds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blight restistant spuds

This year i tried growing blight resistant spuds (Sarpo Axona). It does what it says on the tin. I was only one of few that did not get the dreaded blight. The Sarpo grew strong throughout the season and gave me a great crop. The only problem was that they tasted pants. Very waxy and did not have a nice taste at all. I think these spuds are for those that just want to fill the belly. Next year I'll be growing the Sarpo Mira, I just hope they taste better. Anyone else tried Axona or Mira.
    good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Personally I don't think much of any of the Sarpo varieties and tend to go for old varieties that have natural resistance to blight. I'd rather have something tasty but you might like some of the others - soil type etc has a large bearing too.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I grew sarpo mira this year and had no blight on them and they cropped well the flavour seems to improve with storage.my kestrel grew well too also with no blight (lucky?)and cropped as well or better with a superior flavour and a higher proportion of larger spuds,some over 1.5 kilos.
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I grew Anya this year and although I got slug damage and what I think is eelworm (small pinprick dark holes?) they didn't get blight despite being left in the ground long after the foliage had died back, and despite being surrounded by blighted allotments. I won't be growing them again only because they didn't produce much in my hard soil, and I don't really have the space to spare on tatties.
        Proud member of the Nutters Club.
        Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X